more cnc Q.

Go for ballscrews straightup, from memory mine were $180 AUD delivered for my BF20L (G0704 equiv). You'll get frustrated with the stock screws soon enough.

CamBam is easy enough to use, once I get the $$$ together I'll purchase it a full version, but for now I just break each machining task into separate files.......also gets around the 500 line limit on Mach 3........which I will purchase once the $$$ come in.

As for CAD eMachineshop's program can be used, for simple things, draw your part up and export each view as a dxf and import it into CamBam. It's not perfect but you can get a 3D view of your part.

Try a few trial versions of various CAM products, don't commit to one particular product too soon, get a feel for what you feel most comfortable with.

I'm a virgin CAM\CNC user so I may not be speaking with any sense.

SX2 mini mill.

where is a good source for ballscrew parts? i have a lathe also so i want to make my own conversion parts as well.

Chai is your man. Send a message via ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/linearmotionbearings2008

Unfortunately he hasn't got anything listed, but by all accounts he is the man to deal with. Even tho being China based his English communication is top notch. If you do have any issues with parts, Chai is quick to rectify the situation most promptly. Have Chai do all the end machining for you, just send him a drawing of what you require. He will even grind\machine down a flange on a ballnut if you require that done. From memory I think he does sell 12mm ball screws.

I used his ballscrews on my BF-20.

All though an X3 conversion you may want to have a look at this:
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/X3-CNC/X3cncIndex.html

And don't forget to checkout cnczone, a wealth of information available.

You might want to consider a bit more torque since you are planning on running the acme leadscrews Maybe this kit http://www.automationtechnologiesin...-2x570ozin-3-stepper-drivers-etc-120vac230vac or better this one http://www.automationtechnologiesin...is-kits/nema-34-stepper-motors-3-4-axis-kit-7

I'm not sure just how big your mill is, but NEMA 23 motors are OK for small tabletop routers, but not for mills. NEMA 34 motors would be better. You can always cut the power back on a bigger motor, but you can't add more to a small motor. You could grab hold of the leadscrew with your hand and stall the 381 oz-in NEMA 23 motor. Also consider how much torque it takes to raise and lower your Z axis.

It looks like the Ethernet card would work fine, but I have never used one with Mach3 so I can't really comment on it.

Besides the normal hardware, you will need some way of coupling the motors to the leadscrews and mounts for the motors. Belt drive or direct couple? Either way works. but hardware will be required.

570oz/in work great with a G0704 class mill with ballscrews, even for the Z axis.

The articles I linked to included some of the math required to determine stepper sizes.

As for my own conversion I just ran with what a lot of others have had a lot of success with. ATM I running quite conservative speeds & accels

I know that ACME screws do require more power than ballscrews but what you can get "chinese ballscrews" for I don't see the economics in sticking with the ACME screws.......cos eventually you will get sick of them.

Yes yes I know the difference in quality between a THK screw & nut and the chinese gear, but that does come at a great cost.

As I said before I'm no expert and if I'm wrong please please point me in the right direction.

One thing of note if you do find a PC with a parallel port you can go that route and "upgrade" to a smooth stepper at a later date.

For breakout boards cnc4pc and Homann Designs are highly rated by those in the community.

But most importantly have fun.

looking at the hossmachine website, i see he is running a bit over 200 oz in (on the same mill as i have). the kit im looking at has 380 oz in all three axis, so i think i have enough juice for my size mill. im thinking i will just look into ballscrew conversion as well.

Back