More on compressed air cleanup question ?

My thanks to all.
I will be going with is according to the function advice from @Firstram, which seems completely sensible. The line-up I intend to add starts with a regulator and water extractor with drain. Next goes whatever tech I can use to filter out oil. If stuff needs oil, it can go in right at the end of the run by whatever needs it, not via the pipes. Probably just oil the tool a bit before you use it, as per advice from @rwdenney. I see one can get little inline oiler gadgets one simply places in the tube right before the tool.

All the air treatment stuff can, of course, be had in larger bore diameter. Many advertisements let you select. I am not sure 1/4" is a great choice, but it may not be a problem for my needs, so long as it's not a long run restriction. It's just that the mind in me cannot help thinking..

1.Flow loss inverse proportional to cross section area
Area of 1/4" = ( π x (0.25)^2) ÷ 4 = 0.0491 square inches, or 31.67 mm2

2. Area of 1/2" = ( π x (0.5)^2) ÷ 4 = 0.1963 square inches, or 126.67 mm^2

Proportional to the square of diameter, increasing the bore by a little increases the area by a whole lot!
This is going to decide the size of pipes I install. Definitely not the thinnest, in HDPE, but with careful eye as to the pressure rating. I think 20mm (which is a little over 3/4") can easily do it. I would be cautions of 25mm (1") unless the pipes were metal, or some special plastic from TP Tools, or the like. The little media blast cabinet is to be a very modest one, because I don't have loads of spare space, but even the little ones sure do gulp the air.

While I don't want to be going OTT in a small shop, I like the convenience suggestion from @FOMOGO of separate regulators at downstream places..

I had not thought of it, but having the pipe drop past every outlet, and have a drain tap, as per @rabler is also now in the plan.

Apologies for getting somewhat into the weeds here, but I have to be curious about the air treatment line-up at chez @Firstram . I mean the set of kit camping on the same trolley with the plasma cutter. The input pipe goes to what I call a "real" regulator, meaning one that has enough size to have a proper diaphragm in it. I still have no idea how those cheap eBay regulators like the one in my first posting can actually work, given they seem to be within a small junction block with zero spare space.

Then we have "Motor Guard", followed by a big yellow cartridge can, and then the last item, which I think is a water trap.

Air Drier Filter#1.jpeg

Listing what these are would be great!

Air flows the other way
=>10 micron coalescing filter=> desiccant=> carbon motor guard=> pressure regulator.
Debris/water in lines. Moisture. Desiccant dust and oil. Pressure.

Pressure regulator last is so you’re polishing higher pressure air then stepping down for more consistent flow.

The Desiccant filter was a steel water filter that I converted to use silica beads.

Last edited:
Back