More problems with Jet GHB 1236 metal lathe

I know 2 men who have taken my scraping class. One has taken 2 as a matter of fact. He lives in Chugiak and has scraped his own lathe and mill. I'll private message you his info. He's a swell guy and I'm sure will help you. The other student is in Sitka.

Update on Jet Gear Head Metal lathe problems. I think my gib may have been damaged and contacted Jet for a new one. The original is 13.25 inches long and the replacement that they sent was 15.5 inches long. This was after paying $131 for Gib and 40 for shipping. I contacted them and received an email where they said they sent the correct one. I will try to get this one sent back and get the old one repaired. I would highly recommend that anybody considering dealing with them think carefully because they have NO customer serevice.

Many people order gibs from the company, no matter what brand, they are getting a longer gib as they need to be fitted. I remember buying gibs from Cincinnati Milacron 30 years ago and it was longer. If you buy a gib from Bridgeport it comes longer and machined. Not scraped. If your gib is not broken in 1/2 then I suggest no matter what kind and brand machine you have is you repair the gib you have.

I think the problem with the old gib is it’s loose now if he had all the surfaces reground after the repair.
How is the gib retained or adjusted. Does the gib have a slot cut in it for the adjustment screw? Does the new gib fit meaning does it snug everything and still have length on the fat end. Any gib bought as a replacement from the factory will have to be fitted.

I made a new gib for the vertical way of a BP type mill, left it long and scraped it to final fit on site of the mill, cut it to proper length after it was fit, this is peculiar to tapered gibs, straight gibs can be easily straightened if necessary and reused and scraped to fit if not broken, as Rich states above. tapered gibs can also be straightened, just a little trickier to do it.

It's simple to add some Rulon on the front side or some phenolic or brass on the back. I have rebuilt hundreds of gibs.

I know 2 men who have taken my scraping class. One has taken 2 as a matter of fact. He lives in Chugiak and has scraped his own lathe and mill. I'll private message you his info. He's a swell guy and I'm sure will help you. The other student is in Sitka.
I just got my cross slide back and I need to do a lot to make it ever work. They charged a lot om money for that, but what can you expect. The problem is in the mean time I lost the name and number of the man in Chugach that might know some things to help. Could you send them again? Thank you

Back