More shaper fun! Making internal splines.

I don’t have a 3d printer either but what popped into my head was using some JB WELD Steel stick epoxy putty years ago. I could see taking a batch and mixing it up then squeezing it into a couple of splines that had like Fluid film on it so it wouldn’t stick and let it set up. Then slicing it like you did with your gauge. Then it’s the tool grinder then the bench grinder.
I'd say that's definitely worth a try! Anything to give you a good profile for properly shaping the tool.

Ted

i love the solid boring bar head. That’s on my list. Along with some kind of mount for a DI for accurate depth indication. I‘d also love an auto downfeed.

so you did downfeed by hand? Did you use your dial or some DI we can’t see?

but first I need to replace the feed nuts on the Z and X :(

I don’t use any of my machine tools every day and while some are sloppy on the feeds they still do accurate work so their upgrades keep sliding down the to do list.

i love the solid boring bar head. That’s on my list. Along with some kind of mount for a DI for accurate depth indication. I‘d also love an auto downfeed.

so you did downfeed by hand? Did you use your dial or some DI we can’t see?

but first I need to replace the feed nuts on the Z and X :(

I don’t use any of my machine tools every day and while some are sloppy on the feeds they still do accurate work so their upgrades keep sliding down the to do list.
Yes, I like a nice, rugged bar setup when doing something like this. I make new bars as I need them for diameter, tool size and length. I keep them as short as possible. Yep, all down feed by hand. I don't use any kind of indicator for down feed depth. I made a new screw and nut for the head slide as well as X axis when I got the machine and it is very accurate and repeatable. If I ever needed, I would simply put an mag base indicator on it. I don't use the table vertical adjustment for anything other than rough positioning. I only use the head slide for cutting depth.

What size/brand/model shaper do you have? My Rhodes is very basic 7". I did use a 3 phase motor and VFD on it so I can vary the speed very nicely. That's a nice feature to have.

Ted

What size/brand/model shaper do you have?
Mine is very close to all original Atlas 7b. I think it was in a school. It was very used and semi abused. It has the original motor that when I got it the starter cap was going out. There was no info on the cap size anywhere but a member here was going through his Atlas lathe with the same motor and mentioned the cap size. So that’s what brought me here to HM and stayed here.

I could see if I replaced the lead screws and put larger dials on mine I’d trust them.

I could see if I replaced the lead screws and put larger dials on mine I’d trust them.
Mine could use new dials also. They don't need to be bigger, just more legible. Mine are very worn and looks like back when this thing was made (I'm guessing late 1800's very early 1900's) they hand stamped them. When I have repetitive cuts like on these splines I mark the dial with a marker and just go by that. Maybe I'll try 3D printing new dials and see how they work out. I've machined them before for other machines, but if 3D printing works it's much easier and faster.

Ted

Back