More threads

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Wound down the day by practicing threading.
No particular diameter, just getting the dance moves locked in.
2e4a58b5f3357803da62ec202339846a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks gooder than all getout! You are getting it down pat. Keep up the good work David.

Roy

Thanks Roy!
I feel like I’m getting the hang of it!

Most of the machinists I've seen will run a file over the threads to flatten them a bit as a final touch. I don't know if that is official or just what I've seen and heard. I think you can be sure that if you need to cut some threads they are going to work and fit properly.

Roy

I’m waiting for my thread mic to arrive so I can really give this a go!

What you did is the easy part. The hard part is going for a pitch diameter and actually hitting it. Next time, thread a one-half inch by 20 TPI class 3A screw. This will teach you the importance of hitting your design goals.

I have both a Shars mechanical and a no name digital thread mic's. It takes some practice to learn how to use them and get consistent results. I use the Machinery's handbook to get the specs but for most run of the mill threads I just fit to a nut or threaded hole in a project. I have never tried making a 3A thread yet but it seems worthwhile to try it out. Hopefully my little minilathe is up to that.

Roy

Well, formed threads, good job, David. They may be a little deep, hard to tell from the pic, but the crests look pretty sharply pointed. I like to stop with a little flat top still on the crests. Keeps them from curling over. If you overshoot, you can file the crests flat, but that generally makes for a looser fit. Your thread mic will help sort it out when you get it.

Tom

Last edited:
Most of the machinists I've seen will run a file over the threads to flatten them a bit as a final touch. I don't know if that is official or just what I've seen and heard. I think you can be sure that if you need to cut some threads they are going to work and fit properly.

Roy
Yes that is how it is done, the file gets rid of the sliver threads.

Back