Motor and VFD selection for Clausing 6300?

8ntsane I was thinking this in the beginning if taking this on, I have heard of many folks using VFD's on old used machine shop machines that are 3 phase. I figure old shop machines being used as hobby machines will be at less risk than a production shop using VFD's. I plan on looking at some used or old new stock motors and if I find a great deal that's awesome if it comes to within like $50-100 savings then I will probably just run with one of the "rated" units. Thanks for the help cause I was wondering if anyone else had the same thoughts.

Thanks Clueless for your response, can you expand on you points for the upgrade on the VFD. You say the its more appropriate please explain. Thanks

The FM50 and other V/Hz VFD's use a simple equation where the output voltage is proportional to the frequency you have set the output for. Sensor-less vector drives use electrical feedback from the motor to adjust the output voltage and current based on the load the motor is actually seeing. The FM50 was a great drive in it's day and was one of the best bang for the buck affordable drives. The price of sensor-less vector drives has dropped to the point that for machine applications requiring variable speed and changing load the small added cost seems to me to be a very good tradeoff. The Teco JNEVs are low priced sensor-less vector drives that will do everything the FM50s will do and then some.

I currently own 4 VFD's a Teco FM50 (wood shaper), a Teco 7300 (Logan Lathe) , a Teco N3 (Wood Jointer) and a cheap on from eBay (Belt Disk Sander). My first was the FM50. The other 3 are sensor-less vector. The N3 and 7300 were both purchased before the JNEV was available. I didn't really need sensor-less vector for wood jointer but I did need a VFD that would work with a 200V motor (The FM50 will not). The cheap eBay drive was a mistake. I should have spent a few extra bucks for the JNEV. The FM50 will also not do "3 wire control" without added external components, this was also a reason for going with the N3 on the jointer, that may or may not be an issue for you.

Thanks for the explanation! Ok I took my motor down to the shop and it is a 1.5-2 HP motor base on amps. I asked about a 3 phase replacement and he has a nice Baldor wash down duty motor cat# cwdm3558t. It's 2 HP, 230/460v, 1740 rpm, 60hz, 3phase, TEFC. He is asking $100 for it which seems fair so I picked it up. I also ordered the drive a Teco JNEV-202-H1 after the advice from Clueless, hope this all works out!

Last edited:
So here is the update, I went with a 2hp Baldor and the Teco JNEV-202-H1 and it is very nice. On my remote control I have emergency stop, on/off, fwd/off/rev, jog and potentiometer. The only thing that Im having trouble with is when I hit the emergency stop the motor coasts to a stop instead of braking, anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

So here is the update, I went with a 2hp Baldor and the Teco JNEV-202-H1 and it is very nice. On my remote control I have emergency stop, on/off, fwd/off/rev, jog and potentiometer. The only thing that Im having trouble with is when I hit the emergency stop the motor coasts to a stop instead of braking, anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

Figured it out!!!!-F11~F15=006: Emergency Stop (E.S) The inverter will decelerate to stop by C12 setting on receiving the external emergency stop signal regardless of F09 setting, so I decreased the deceleration.....

Back