Motor & Drum switch help.

twhite

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an old Wards Lathe. It is running an old Craftsman 110v motor. It died on me. It was only wired for forward. I just came into possession of a dual voltage reversing motor. The lathe came with a Furnas brim switch style RSB4. I am pretty much electrical illiterate. However if I have a simple schematic I can wire it.

So here are some questions and pictures of the actual motor and switch.
1. Will this switch work with this motor? If yes the following.
2. From looking it appears that the motor is setup for high voltage. I will need for low 110v direction on what wires to switch and where.
3. What is the wire sequence for drum switch and where do wires come from on motor to drum switch.
d671faea3b0a76f566801344254a4bcc.jpg

376b14091110d00c7935a1b54572d781.jpg

65c8e0b996325f1ebadaaf24fb768aff.jpg

2a65e87d58b06bbee9a502a58b8367b0.jpg

99d92e9eb2e82aca9334be669d4ddd0b.jpg

I have this from my SB9
6f2504f17392c7bd5d6edbadf1079c2a.jpg

ae7961eff06f05e6fbf520fc201bf047.jpg

It looks like Figure 6 for this motor?
05bc774871e3c7b0fee69c2897e0c1e6.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Does this look correct for low voltage wiring in the motor.
e82f56d919c3d2a19ad1a70cff33df72.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

That drum switch would work fine with reversing that motor.

That is a touch confusing, that yellow wire is confusing me, the diagram says brown, black, red, white, but not yellow. Also, the rest of the wires seem to have numbers with where they are supposed to be (at least, red and white do), so the yellow one if it matches that should be on the single spade in the upper right?

That drum switch would work fine with reversing that motor.

That is a touch confusing, that yellow wire is confusing me, the diagram says brown, black, red, white, but not yellow. Also, the rest of the wires seem to have numbers with where they are supposed to be (at least, red and white do), so the yellow one if it matches that should be on the single spade in the upper right?

I figured they ran out of brown wire and used yellow. Maybe the dude assembling this one is colorblind

Cutting oil is my blood.

I figured they ran out of brown wire and used yellow. Maybe the dude assembling this one is colorblind

Cutting oil is my blood.
Isn't the brown wire the one next to the red at the top? Its in the right place at least...

Isn't the brown wire the one next to the red at the top? Its in the right place at least...

Yes the brown is next to the red on top. I think I have the motor wires in the correct configuration for the 110v.

If so how do I wire to the switch? I suppose I will need to solder the new wires that go to the switch to the existing connectors in the motor? If so then what color wires go where on the switch? If the figure 6 is the correct schematic Cole to number conversion.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Yes post #2 looks correct for low voltage. The drum switch you have is a 3-phase type and you can use it. Does it have a handle? I don't see it.

You'll need a few extra 1/4" slip on crimp terminals (both male and female) unless you want to solder to the lugs (not recommended) You will need to unplug and extend the red and the black to reach the drum switch wherever you are planning to put it, and add a couple of new wires.
Give me a few and I'll post a sketch for you
This should work:
120vfurnas3pha.jpeg

Last edited:
Then the yellow still confuses/worries me then, not a colorblindness at the factory problem then. Particularly since it is labeled '4' but connected to 2.

I'm a touch confused by the switch image, but it looks like Mark is going to help, so I'm off the hook :)

Yes post #2 looks correct for low voltage. The drum switch you have is a 3-phase type and you can use it. Does it have a handle? I don't see it.

You'll need a few extra 1/4" slip on crimp terminals (both male and female) unless you want to solder to the lugs (not recommended) You will need to extend the red and the black to reach the drum switch wherever you are planning to put it.
Give me a few and I'll post a sketch for you

I will get terminals. Yes the handle is not attached at the moment.

Thank you guys.
The drum switch came with the lathe but not connected to the motor. It only had an on/off switch.

So will I need to unplug the red and black. Then make an extension and go straight to the drum switch and forgo red and black wires connecting to the motor.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Also what Gauge wire will be best? The length from motor to switch will be 2 feet max.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back