[How do I?] Motor- Drum Switch Wiring on this old 2 HP 220 volt 1 Phase motor

The previous posts were so far over my head that I don't think I could follow it with detailed diagrams and handholding.
As stated a few time before my father worked for Furnas and I've spent quite a bit of time in heavy manufacturing plants and I do not recall ever seeing a drum switch of that size. Perhaps I just wasn't paying proper attention... :grin:

Ken -

Not sure if this will work with your motor and switch ... but here's a schematic I came up with to run/reverse a 220 volt motor with a Dayton drum switch and just 4 wires. The schematic includes a picture of the drum switch contacts and what goes to where for forward/neutral/reverse ... so you might be able to cross reference it to your switch. The schematic also shows what wire goes to what winding, etc. inside the motor.

This was for my vintage Grizzly 12x24 lathe. The original switch was shot when I bought the lathe. I'd previously wired it up to the drum switch with a 6 conductor cable, but that scheme always left one motor coil connected (unswitched) to one leg of the 220. So I came up with this "improved" schematic. Didn't actually wire it up, because I went to a 3 phase motor and VFD instead.

Hope it helps!
- John

Attachments

• Schematic_4818_improved.pdf
    17.2 KB · Views: 7
John, your diagram is a start. I just need to put my mess down on paper like yours and I think it will give me a better idea of what I'm doing.

Meantime, we had a refrigerator crap out on us late yesterday. Fixing to head to the parts store and see if they can help me get it running. If not, I might be taking donations for a new ice box!o_O

Back