MOTOR HEATING UP

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
we have a craftsman electric hack saw with a 1/3 hp motor keeps getting hot, hot enuff so you cant touch it,.........all logical comments welcome

Attachments

• 100_3845.JPG
    100_3845.JPG
    435.1 KB · Views: 20
a few questions before i can help...

what type oil are you using for lubrication?
is the motor belt too tight?
how long does the motor take to heat up to uncomfortable temperature?
does the motor sound funny?
have you performed an amp draw test?

what type oil are you using for lubrication? ................................ I have no idea
is the motor belt too tight? .......................no excessive slop
how long does the motor take to heat up to uncomfortable temperature? when the saw is on about 5-12 min.
does the motor sound funny?........motor sounds smooth
have you performed an amp draw..................no

Just wondering if the motor runs cool without the belt i.e. no load? If so maybe the load has gotten stiff? That's where I would start, try to divide the problem in half. Motor problem or load problem. Current reading in both cases would be helpful.

--Mike

My first SWAG would be the start winding not clearing as the motor spins. If the motor heats up with no load, that;s a sure sign. Just a guess, but I have several C'man motors where age has altered the centrifugal switch. I've replaced most of mine simply because I like the Baldor TEFC motor better and I have bad feelings about opening the old motors with brittle insulation. Especially if they have been opened before and "less than proper" changes made.

Craftsman motors have a "flat pack" capacitor in the base frame. But the capacitor likely is OK or at least marginal since the motor starts. A motor will run on reduced or excessive voltage. A 240 volt motor will run on 120 volts and a 120 volt motor will run on 240 volts. The majic smoke gets out eventually in either case.

Last edited:
Well Dan you're a lucky guy, you've got Bill's attention. He's forgot more about motors than most of us know. Try to get him that current reading if possible.

forgot too mention its a "split phase type which Im guessing starts slow then kicks in to phase 2 or something like that, which am guessing has nothing to do with the heat problem

>>>>>>>>>>>anyway, can I use a single phase motor for my application??

Last edited:
Back