Motor Help

The Model A Guy

Registered
Registered
I have an older Dayton 1/2HP motor that I want to wire for forward and reverse. I know very little about motors. This one does not have the wire leads marked as I have see in other motors. The motor control switch has a wiring diagram and I need to figure out which leads to connect from my motor to the forward / reverse switch.
From what I understand this is an induction type motor with both sets of leads (4 wire) go into the windings, one pair is a light color and the other pair is a dark color.
I have tried to identify the Dayton motor by it's number without success.
Suggestions?

IMG_20140510_053351.jpg IMG_20140509_185016.jpg

What I would do... Open up the motor, you'll find the centrifugal switch on one end or the other, probably on the end where the wires go in. With an ohmmeter connected to each pair one at a time manually open the centrifugal switch and see which winding disconnects when it's tripped, then you've identified the start winding.

Reverse that pair with respect to the main winding and you'll reverse the starting direction.

You may be able to tell just by looking at the switch, which wire colors connect to it?

AlanR pretty much said it all. Not much anyone else could add.
Good luck and happy motoring.

Back