Motor Issue

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an old dust collector system that I was repurposing to use with my CNC router. While testing the control software to activate a relay box to turn on the dust collector motor the cloth filter bag popped off and was immediately sucked into the impeller stalling the motor. My bad for not having a hose connected. though it was rather humorous to watch.

The circuit breaker tripped before I could shut off the motor. After clearing the filter bag from the impeller I started the motor to see if I had done any damage and now it makes a very loud buzzing sound. It starts and spins up but obviously something is wrong.

Video of noise.

Wondering if it's cooked or can possibly be repaired? Not sure where to start looking.

Check for something loose around the outside of the motor- shroud or cover vibrating?
It's possible that the stall caused some damage internally- might have to open it up

Last edited:
Wow.. Sorry to hear that Jay.. And I mean that literally (on YouTube) and figuratively.. I hate to say, but I am guessing it is not a physical fan/shroud or other interference issue, since the sound went away after you turned the switch off, while the motor was still winding down in speed.
Is the motor single or three phase? 120v, 220v, or ?? Looks like single phase.
Depending on the style of motor, there are often switches that are tripped when the motor reaches a certain speed to disengage "starter windings" for instance. Possibly the starter winding switch got burned out when the motor was stopped mechanically but the power was still on? Maybe both windings are now powered the whole time, which would have the motor windings fighting against each other, if that makes sense.
Try to google the motor info or search the motor itself to find the starter winding switch and capacitor... maybe that box on the side has a starter winding capacitor (be careful! probably still loaded!) you could remove, and see if you can get the motor going without the starter winding at all to see if it is that. you might have to spin the shaft manually after the switch is on to get it going. I'm not sure if removing the capacitor would actually disconnect the starter winding circuit... hmmm...

My point is hopefully there is just a contactor that could be replaced instead.

Bernie

The motor is single phase 1hp and can be wired 110v or 220v. I have it wired 220v. It has a single starting capacitor and centrifugal switch.

The motor has four wires. Red, Black, White, Yellow.

Wired for 220v the Black/Yellow are tied together and the Red and White go to the switch.

I figured I start by testing the motor leads. Here is what I get.

Black-Red = 1.8 Ohm
White-Yellow = 1.8 Ohm
All other combinations = Open

I then checked the starting capacitor. When I first connected the Ohm meter it was around 35 Ohms, climbed to around 40 Ohm and then dropped off to "OL" or open.

*Edit* Aslo add that it is a 150 mfd capacitor and checks at 154 mfd.

Last edited:
Do the nose test. Can you tell if there is a burnt smell. Hope not, not good if there is. You will probably have to open it up. See if there is anything burnt and check the centrifugal switch is cracked and/or missing a piece.

Back