Motor Problem

Wheresmywrench?

Active User
Registered
I finally got my rewiring done on my V10-P Mentor. Got the motor, single phase 240v, wired in, lathe, and I belive I have a problem with the reverse side of the motor. It runs perfect in the forward Hi/Lo positions no problems. But when I try to run in reverse the motor does not know which direction it wants to go in, the shaft shakes back and forth, and when it does go it's 50/50 chance it goes in reverse. BUT when it does spin it kicks out the overload, only in reverse. So I think we need a motor rewind. Any input on this would be appreciated. :headscratch:

I finally got my rewiring done on my V10-P Mentor. Got the motor, single phase 240v, wired in, lathe, and I belive I have a problem with the reverse side of the motor. It runs perfect in the forward Hi/Lo positions no problems. But when I try to run in reverse the motor does not know which direction it wants to go in, the shaft shakes back and forth, and when it does go it's 50/50 chance it goes in reverse. BUT when it does spin it kicks out the overload, only in reverse. So I think we need a motor rewind. Any input on this would be appreciated. :headscratch:

I am wondering if it was meant to be reversed. I would think if you reverse the leads it would reverse itself. Sorry, I don't know. I will let the electricians answer.

Good Luck

I'm thinking just a bad connection or maybe a bad switch or contactor (relay). (I don't know anything about your specific machine.)

On a typical capacitor start motor the same windings are used for both direction. The only difference between forward and reverse is the way the starting winding is connected with respect to the run winding.

Last edited:
I think I made a wiring mistake on the reverse contactor. Now the reverse and foward should be 2 seperate ciruits right? with just wires running from the reverse and forward for the hi/lo circuits being the same. Now my R line from the forward contactor will connect to V2,4 and the S line would run to Z2,4. Then when I reverse the R line would go toZ2,4 and the S line would goto V2,4. Would that not be right?

:allgood: OK I got it fixed up. made a bad connection. motor wors as I figured it would when I designed the new cuircuit.

Here is the proper diagram if anyone else needs to rewire thier V10-P Mentor from 3 phase to single phase. I have the run capacitor marked as a run coil.

EPSON008.JPG

EPSON008.JPG

Back