Motor Rpm And Ratios

When I say "improve lubrication", I'm not talking about adding more grease or oil to the bearings or gears. I'm talking about adding pressurized oiling to the bearings and gearing, This may also include things like "oil mist" for lubrication of bearings. There are two ways to kill a bearing, (actually more ways), one is to starve a bearing of lubrication and two, over lubricate a bearing. I don't believe a 305 bearing in a VN mill is going to fail by increasing the speed by 600 RPM at the motor in MHO.
Ken

Daryl there is a high speed attachment for the machine but not sure if it will fit my smaller unit. It is a valid point that they increase the speed in the attachment rather than the overall machine.

It seems to be hard to find a reasonably priced 1hp 1150 single phase motor. A simple pulley swap could do the job to lower the rpms but will the extra hp cause any problems?

What are the gears and pulleys made of? Iron? How big are the shafts, that will determine hp max, as well as key size

I wanted to update my ratios because of my mistake for not accounting for the cutter head. I also went ahead with a 1 hp motor to drive the machine.

The bevel gear set to cutter head is 21 to 45. These speeds are approx:

Low Side
58, 111, 166, 317

High Side
106, 203, 304, 581

Back