Motor vibration

May I inquire how much you paid for the drill press?
$639 Au, this wasnt the cheapest in the line up either.
No exaggeration, if the vice is left on the table and the drill is turned the vice will vibrate onto the floor.
My old very cheap drill press that cost $69 Au new and has lasted me 30 years was as smooth as silk.
I am awaiting a reply from the manufacturer.

In my experience motor rebuild shops don't do a good job in balancing, you'll be better off warranty it or replace it with a new or used one.

Hi Charles, (like time no see)
When you removed the pulley from the motor did the motor spin easily and smoothly by hand? No bearing rumble?
For what you paid I would be returning it to the dealer.

Cheers Phil

$639 Au, this wasnt the cheapest in the line up either.
No exaggeration, if the vice is left on the table and the drill is turned the vice will vibrate onto the floor.
My old very cheap drill press that cost $69 Au new and has lasted me 30 years was as smooth as silk.
I am awaiting a reply from the manufacturer.

I do not know what the Australian tool market is like but I would consider returning the drill press and finding a different brand. One drillpress with that much vibration is a mistake. Two in a row with that bad of a vibration problem is just bad manufacturing. I can't imaging that much vibration from the motor is going to do any good for the spindle bearings.

All single phase motors vibrate, a good quality one shouldn't be too bad, some of the better ones are fitted to a cradle (rather than a solid foot) and supported by rubber bushes.
If you want a quiet motor that doesn't vibrate, fit a 3 phase motor and inverter drive, the variable speed is nice to have too. You may need to fit a warning light so you know when the thing is running.

Tertiaryjim,
There may be a few of these motors around Moab, possibly a carryover from the old mining days. No telling what an ad in craig's list might turn up.
Ray

Back