Mounting a 3 in 1 sheet metal machine on a tool chest

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Has anyone here ever mounted one of those Harbor Freight 3 in 1 sheet metal machines (cut, roll, bend) on a tool chest? I have mine mounted on a table with a butcher block top with metal legs. There are wheels on it. I need it to be mobile.

I was thinking this tool box would work. It's 36" wide by 18" deep and 38" tall:
toolbox for 3 in 1.PNG

I plan on loading the drawers with material that I currently have elsewhere. It's mostly aluminum chunks with some steel pieces. It's all pretty heavy, but I think the drawers could handle it and it would weight the tool box down to keep it from tipping. The 3 in 1 is about 300 lbs.

The current table works. It's about 39" wide and about 32" deep. Here it is:
DSC01341.JPG

And here is the material storage:
DSC01342.JPG
I could fit it underneath the table the 3 in 1 is one, but then I'd have 2 pieces to move. I also thought of taking the wheels off and mounting it some way to the table. I'd like to get some garage space back by combining these two.

Anyone done this? Anything I haven't considered? I'm thinking tipping may not be an issue with the toolbox loaded with material. I've used the machine on the current table and it felt stable. The biggest material it will handle is 16Ga, and only short pieces at that. I have more issues with it moving if I don't lock the wheels.

I've used it mostly in place, but I want to be able to move it away from the car I have parked near it. I guess I could also move the car, too.

I wanted to see if anyone had used a tool chest to mount a 3 in 1 and if they had any issues. I think I would place a piece of thick plywood or MDF on top and mount the 3 in 1 thru that and the top of the toolbox with bolts and nuts.

Thanks!

I'd be concerned with the height. How tall is that chest compared to your table?

Also if it was me, I'd be looking at combining the table and cabinet that you already own unless you have other plans for them. I mean free (you already have them), and no extra work finding them new homes. I'd think that table and cabinet would be nicer or at least more sturdy than the Lowes chest.

I like the idea of combining the table and old chest.
Necessity is the mother of invention

My 3n1 is on a cart made out of the cart my 9x20 lathe came on. My material drawers are under my horizontal bandsaw. It’s not as tall as the Lowe’s box and it’s got a shelf on the bottom. I’d also combine the old chest and the 3n1 cart. Probably just mount the top from the cart on tool chest. Personally I hate those kind of castors under your 3n1 and prefer scaffold castors as they lock the wheel and the castor so they don’t rotate so everything is solid and no chasing around.

Back