Mounting Cutters On Horizontal Mill

Dunc1

Active User
Registered
I had posted earlier, in the dedicated Atlas section, about specific issues with an Atlas horizontal mill I had just acquired. This seems a more generic question with wider application.

The arbor for the mill is 7/8" dia with a single keyway. While I have several cutters/slitting saws few of them have the same width of keyway. For my initial trials I have held them in place by the friction generated between the spacers & the arbor shaft nut (outboard of all the spacers. So far it has worked... but... is there a danger of slippage? More precisely, of course there is always a possibility but how likely is it to occur given the machine's capabilities?

Selecting only cutters with the correct size keyway would severely limit my choices. I do have a source of brand name, lightly used cutters but there are only a few cutters with the correctly sized keyway.

If this is a screw-up waiting to happen what alternate solutions are there?
I considered the idea of a key milled to the width/depth of the arbor keyway on one side & to the width/depth of the cutter on the other (would resemble a T-nut minus the threaded hole for a stud)? Is this a practical/realistic approach?

Another idea: purchase cutters with larger diameter openings for the milling machine arbor and then fabricate
a spacer ring with dual keyways: the spacer's internal keyway would be sized to fit the arbor's and the outside keyway would accept a key suitable to that of the cuter. This sounds - maybe - like a lot of work for questionable results.

Hi, I would make a key with one side to match the arbor and the other to match the cutter, it only needs to be short, you do not really need to key the spacers to the arbor. I generally do not key slitting saws, better to let them slip than jam up and break! I have a Harrison H mill.
Phil

I use a horizontal to cut key seats every day 3/16-1". I never run a kay in the cutters. Would much rather have a cutter slip than something to break. Cutters are not cheap. And We have never had a problem.

my atlas horizontal has no keyway on the arbor so the cutter is only held by friction..so far so good.
Dan

I have never used keys in mine either. So far, no problems. I can't remember where I read they weren't necessary but I hadn't given it a thought in a couple of years until I read this.

Hi Dunc1 - there is always a way to get the job done, and generally you will end up taking a different approach for different tasks.

It is probably true that you don't really need a key. Having some sort of a key (probably does not have to be a properly fitting key) is not going to be a bad thing. I figure the keyway is in the arbor and the cutter for a reason (the folks who designed all this kit know a lot more about it than I do) - so for the few times I have used my arbors, I used a key.

I have used your "Another Idea", with good results. Hermetic basically nailed the same idea.

I needed to hold a gear cutter, and chose to use a horizontal set up. The "cost effective" gear cutter on e-bay, came with a 22mm bore (this was the common offering from numerous sellers). I have imperial arbors (5/8", 7/8" and 1") - so I washer/sleeved the 5/8" arbor. I used two seperate "keys" (simply a small pin), one from the washer/sleeve to the cutter and a seperate one from the washer/sleeve into the arbor. The one into the arbor I drilled & tapped for a small screw so I had something to hang onto when pulling the "key" to slide the sleeve off.

See use in post #11 of : http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...ling-drilling-and-boring-machine-mh600.30766/

Certainly finding a cutter with the correct size hole would have saved one step (so if you can get cutters for your arbors, that are correct - good, if you just need a custom key - no problem, you're the guy to make that custom key, if the hole is the wrong size - no problem (see previously mention guy who likes to make things)).

If you can get good cutters for cheap - go for it.

DSCF5686.JPG DSCF5687.JPG DSCF5688.JPG DSCF5689.JPG DSCF5690.JPG

Back