Movement identification.

B

BRIAN

Forum Guest
Register Today
Help please.
Can anyone identify this movement please.
the case has suffered modification by addition on fancy work (very Italian).
But I think the movement was made in the U S A.
Regards Brian.

P1010814.JPG P1010813.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't give you a definate, but going barrels, and rack and snail chiming is european. Shame there is no data stamped into it.

Thanks for the info.
I googled Largo Gong and came up with many different types of clock. I am now told that Gong makers are a breed apart from clock makers
even having there own thread sizes.
I based the assumption that the movement was made in the U S A on the fact that it has Lantern pinions. that I understand where popular in the U S A . but the pendulum looks more German to me Based on my limited knowledge.so this ties in with the information
from Cyrusb.

The printing of the dial is strange ( note the figure 8)

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards Brian.

Brian, Your right about the lantern pinions being an American trait. Do you have any idea of the age of the movement? If it is only 20 or 30 years old it could be Korean. They are famous for combining Euro and American details. The decorated rack is not a Korean trait however. Have you had it apart yet? I would be surprised to find no data at all . I'd guess '50s Germany.

Brian,

Take a picture of the back of the movement showing any symbols and the plate on the Gong.

That should help ID it.

Best,

Nelson

I must confess that the clock only came into the shop for a chiming error ( 2 teeth out on the snail cam ).
therefore I had not looked to close at the back of the movement.
However behind the pendulum is a crescent with a B inside , and on the backplate legs numbers 0 and 43.
Brian.

P1011210.JPG P1011209.JPG

author=BRIAN link=topic=2683.msg18290#msg18290 date=1310056351
I must confess that the clock only came into the shop for a chiming error ( 2 teeth out on the snail cam ).
therefore I had not looked to close at the back of the movement.
However behind the pendulum is a crescent with a B inside , and on the backplate legs numbers 0 and 43.
Brian.

Brian,

I happen to collect German spring wound box clocks of the type you have there.

The clock you have is a time and strike manufactured by the Baden Clock Company.
The movement is marked with a B in a crecent moon - the trade mark of the Baden clock company.

I knew if you told me the trademark I could ID it for you.
The other numbers indicate the weight and length of the required pendulum.

Enjoy!

Nelson

Great thanks to all for your help. I can now inform the owner when I return the clock.
I will miss it in the shop .
Regards Brian.

Back