Moving a 1000 lbs across a 100 ft lawn

nnam

Registered
Registered
I needed to move a heavy engine across a lawn, probably 100 ft distance.
So I did research and found a best way would be using roller like PVC pipe.
Another option was using some sort of sliding surface. I was thinking of putting a metal sheet underneath a piece of plywood and pull it.
One more is to just build a cart with large wheels, like a lawn mower wheels. I happened to have a pile of them, but ... I gave them all away. I should have kept 4 :)

I was still contemplating what to do, then ...

I just pulled it. The engine was already mounted on a dolly with 6" wheels. I moved the engine to the highest spot from hard surface, and thinking going down would help. Then I and my family pulled it. We made it maybe 3 or 4 ft. It was just the kind of decision of "just do it", even though it rain the day before.

I know. The reason I did it just because before that, I pulled it 3 feet on soft ground and it did move, so I thought it would work.
Well, now, "what do I do". The wheels sank down maybe 1/3, the longer they sat, the more they sink. If pulling continuously, it sank less.

So I used a 2x4 stick to pry on the back. That went maybe 30 to 40 ft before we're pretty exhausted.

It's now in the middle, no going back. So I put a 2 wheel dolly, and hook it to the under of the front of the flat dolly and having some people "hang" on it, effectively giving the flat dolly 2 large front wheels. Then we pulled it, while I pried in the back. It went very easily.

So the lesson I learn and wanted to share is, no need for anything fancy like PVC pipe, moving a heavy object 1000 lbs across a "soft" lawn can easily be done with large dolly wheels, maybe making a flat dolly with 4 wheels of 10" would do. Or maybe I'll keep an eye on trash tractors and harvest wheels from them (again). Two truck dollies joining to be flat may work, just too narrow and can tip over (and if the handles don't interfere with the ground).

Last edited:
The sliding option would probably have worked too, using a sheet of metal or plywood. You need large surface area contact with the soft lawn
-Mark

Or 2 sheets of plywood to help distribute the load over the grass. Roll onto one and then move the first sheet to the next position and roll another 8 feet, rinse and repeat.

Or just get a lot of people to pull.......

yep, plywood leapfrog with the load on pipes.

Nice job. There are many ways to tackle a project. It is a matter of combining the environment with what we have or can access to accomplish the task.

I bought 2 pieces of 3/4" OSB (floor) for that. However, the "landscape" was really uneven, so I am worry it can break the board, and I also learned that with swivel wheels, it is a bit hard to control at some of the down hill, unless I put 2 2x4 on the sides. All my non-swivel wheels were used, and I didn't bother "switching" them by lifting the existing one and try to take it out.
I was really fed up with waiting and thinking, so I just did it. One thing that pushed me over the edge, was that the county sent me a letter about outside storage problem, probably due to some of my ramp parts (the one I posted before) left in the front of the house and the engine. They really make life harder than it should.

Last edited:
One thing that pushed me over the edge, was that the county sent me a letter about outside storage problem, probably due to some of my ramp parts (the one I posted before) left in the front of the house and the engine. They really make life harder than it should.
Come on over to SW Virginia. We dont mind stuff like that.

I bought 2 pieces of 3/4" OSB (floor) for that. However, the "landscape" was really uneven, so I am worry it can break the board, and I also learned that with swivel wheels, it is a bit hard to control at some of the down hill, unless I put 2 2x4 on the sides. All my non-swivel wheels were used, and I didn't bother "switching" them by lifting the existing one and try to take it out.
I was really fed up with waiting and thinking, so I just did it. One thing that pushed me over the edge, was that the county sent me a letter about outside storage problem, probably due to some of my ramp parts (the one I posted before) left in the front of the house and the engine. They really make life harder than it should.

Unless the county drove by and saw it, most likely it was one of your neighbors. All the more reason why when I retire I refuse to be in suburbia, in a HOA or where someone can tell me how to paint or decorate my home.

Back