[How do I?] Moving a lathe

MilsurpMonkey

Registered
Registered
Hi folks, new guy just getting into a little machining. I purchased a 12x40 Select Machine Tool lathe from a friend and have a bit of a question. What’s the best way to move one of these things? I’ve got access to an engine hoist and a car trailer. The lathe is in a paved garage going to my paved garage. What is and isn’t safe to lift? Safe to run straps on? Thanks for any pointers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straps are fine on any of the solid cast components. Make sure all movable parts are locked in place, absolutely no pressure on the lead screw from the straps, and watch the balance point.

An engine hoist and car trailer are exactly how I moved my 12x36 recently. I also used some machine-moving casters from amazon and a few people. It wasn’t bad; we put the hoist up on the trailer for positioning it on the bed.

In no particular order:
Be careful ... lathes are top heavy! Strap it well when it's on the trailer. If you can attach wooden blocks to the floor of the trailer around the base of the lathe, it's a good idea to do so. If not, use some 2x4s to span across the width and length of the trailer. An engine hoist is definitely useful. I'm not familiar with the Select lathe. Can it be dismounted from the base? If so, you can avoid the top-heaviness problem by loading the lathe and base separately.

In no particular order:
Be careful ... lathes are top heavy! Strap it well when it's on the trailer. If you can attach wooden blocks to the floor of the trailer around the base of the lathe, it's a good idea to do so. If not, use some 2x4s to span across the width and length of the trailer. An engine hoist is definitely useful. I'm not familiar with the Select lathe. Can it be dismounted from the base? If so, you can avoid the top-heaviness problem by loading the lathe and base separately.

I think the Select is similar to the Enco/Jet of the time period (late 70s) I don’t know if it comes apart or not, I’d imagine so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 13x40 jet came in 2 pieces of the lathe and the cabinet. Just 6 bolts to separate them.
My lathe came with the tail stock all the way to the left and the carriage all the way to the left to help with the balance point. it also had a plate with a lifting eye bolted to the bed as the lift point. That is what was recommended and what I used with the engine hoist. It worked great.

When using the engine hoist with something this heavy, keep it as low to the ground as you can so that the hoist does not try to tip over. Especially while moving across any distance.

Definitely! After picking up something heavy, once it's clear of the original "base," I will lower it down to the legs of the engine hoist - or to some 2x4s laid across the legs. Having it swing around on the chain while trying to move it is very nervous-making.

Believe it or not; most wheeled hoists are so equipped for getting into position; NOT for movement when loaded!!! Typically, they have swivel casters on each leg. Getting away with a mere few hundred pound engine, compared to even a small machine are completely different stories; center of gravity, just one chapter.
I'd guess more than half of the guys 'finding' a lathe or a little mill, barely avert mishaps. Those brought on by naiveté, insufficient rigging experience and equipment. Don't allow fixation making an empty space in his garage, to fill yours create hazards, haste, often scrapped acquisitions. Next, they find out so-and-so component has been unavailable for decades.

I'm confident moving equipment. Around 2 years ago, [disregard incorrect date setting of digital camera] traveled across Illinois for a sheet metal press brake. Using the photographs I estimated the weight and loaded appropriate gear. No forklift or hoist available either end; plus the configuration wasn't well suited for lifting. I arrived 10pm and spent 10+ hours working alone; being careful, thoughtful, adhering close to strategy planned earlier. Regardless strategy, every move requires tactical adjustments.

While helping others, they often ask why I spend so much effort towards some aspect of the project, my standard answer has become........."I don't want this to be hood ornament on a Hyundai".
FormAll_1 (1).JPGFormAll_1 (3).JPGFormAll_1 (5).JPGFormAll_1 (6).JPG

Last edited:
Believe it or not; most wheeled hoists are so equipped for getting into position; NOT for movement when loaded!!! Typically, they have swivel casters on each leg. Getting away with a mere few hundred pound engine, compared to even a small machine are completely different stories; center of gravity, just one chapter.
I'd guess more than half of the guys 'finding' a lathe or a little mill, barely avert mishaps. Those brought on by naiveté, insufficient rigging experience and equipment. Don't allow fixation making an empty space in his garage, to fill yours create hazards, haste, often scrapped acquisitions. Next, they find out so-and-so component has been unavailable for decades.

I'm confident moving equipment. Around 2 years ago, [disregard incorrect date setting of digital camera] traveled across Illinois for a sheet metal press brake. Using the photographs I estimated the weight and loaded appropriate gear. No forklift or hoist available either end; plus the configuration wasn't well suited for lifting. I arrived 10pm and spent 10+ hours working alone; being careful, thoughtful, adhering close to strategy planned earlier. Regardless strategy, every move requires tactical adjustments.

While helping others, they often ask why I spend so much effort towards some aspect of the project, my standard answer has become........."I don't want this to be hood ornament on a Hyundai".
View attachment 360865View attachment 360866View attachment 360867View attachment 360868
Talk about loaded for bear TM51! And you have to be if you’re doing it by yourself, which 99% of the time I am. I would take more of the right equipment over another person most time because with the kinds of weights we’re talking about a person won’t matter. Having a tilting trailer or one of those drop trailers is the bomb. Most problems in my experience happens at those transition points. Car ramps are not great for doing machines compared to a tilt, drop trailer or a low trailer and a full ramp. I’ve never had one of those nice pry bar on wheels like is on the edge of one of TM’s photos, just lots of big bars. But I’ve got a super HD drop axel trailer with 2 full aluminum HD ramps. 1 is 6’ long the other is 10’. Super handy and safe.

In the picture is worth 1000 words thought,, there are a few YouTube videos about moving machines.

Agree completely with Toolmaker, even with a smaller machine under 500lbs there is little margin for error, so double and triple checking, going slow and testing loads will save you from damage to the machine and possible injury.

Back