Moving a Logan 10 x20 lathe

There are a lot of things that really need to be addressed just in case. If you know any of this, maybe it will help someone else later.

I suspect you may be light on the weight. I looked at my Logan catalog and the 10" models with cabinets start at 760lbs. Only the bench version and floor model (just feet, no cabinets) weigh under 600lbs.

For starters, with any size lathe, most of the weight is well above center. Lifting them from below (like forks under the bed or chip tray) is generally risky. If you must do that, strap the lathe to the forks and ideally to the forklift frame as well so there is no way it can slide off (have seen this happen). If you can lift it using a strap around the center webbing of the bed, even better. You'll often have to move the carriage back and forth a bit, and sometimes switch to a different cross brace, but you can usually get them balanced pretty nicely that way. With the strap around the web and run back through itself the lathe can swing and rotate, but can't fall off. If you use the strap like a hammock under the web the entire machine can pivot and still wind up hitting something. Once you have it balanced take a minute to tighten the carriage lock so it doesn't move while you're lifting/loading/unloading. I had a recent loading incident with a lathe that caused the carriage to slide into the headstock and it ruined a $200 pinion.....wouldn't have happened if I had locked the carriage (long story).

That covers lifting it on/off a trailer. How to secure it to a trailer is another story. Not to point fingers, but more often than not when I see pictures posted here of lathes on trailers, they aren't really secured properly. The most common is a strap around the headstock to one end of the trailer and a strap around the tailstock end to the other end of the trailer. That can largely keep a lathe from moving forward and backward, but doesn't do nearly as much to keep them from moving sideways, or even worse, rolling over. Ideally run two straps around the headstock end and two straps around the tailstock end. Secure one to each corner of the trailer. With four points it's locked in. That way there literally isn't any direction it can move...If it wants to move forward the back two straps hold it. If it wants to move left the right two straps hold it....etc. I have seen people use two straps going to the back of the trailer, and only one to the front, but that's not ideal. In that case they're probably thinking the biggest problem will be breaking, which it is, but with just one strap around the front it can move left/right as vibration and bumps happen (and they will). Suddenly the front has moved a couple of inches left or right and what happens? One of the back straps is now loose!

If the lathe happens to have feet that are open on the bottom like the South Bends and Sheldons with the hoop style tubular frames it would be great to run a chain across each one as well...probably overkill, but it won't hurt.

Assuming you get the lathe home and unloaded, moving it is a whole different ball of wax. Since you're going to disassemble yours quite a bit it's not as challenging, but there are some things that still apply.

If the lathe is going to be on anything with wheels...skates, dollies, etc, it absolutely has to be secured so it can't slide off. Even a ratchet strap will work. Time and again we see damaged/ruined lathes because they were being moved on some sort of wheeled device and weren't secured to them. I'm guilty of this...killed my first lathe this way. Hit a pebble, crack in the floor or your strong buddy pushes just a bit too hard from the side and the lathe slides on the dolly/skate and it's gone. Along with that topic....broom/vacuum the path before you start and ideally have a spotter who can see what you can't. They can warn you about cracks, spot any movement of the lathe on the skate/dolly/etc.

I'd go so far to say that even if you move just the bed and headstock on something like an appliance dolly or hand truck, strap it to the dolly so it can't move. You don't want to be pulling the dolly with one hand while holding the lathe with the other.

If you look at the picture of your Logan, just think that below the bed rails the only heavy thing is the motor. Assume yours weighs what the catalog says...760lbs. Probably 500lbs is above the chip tray and only 260lbs is below it...massively top heavy. One inch of lean and it's going over, no question, and it will happen in the blink of an eye.

If you have to push it's best to do it from down low, or as low as possible. A pinch bar/pry bar between the base and the floor is a safe way to go about it. If it doesn't want to move, stop and figure it out. If at all possible, don't try this if time is short...set aside an entire afternoon or a whole day.

We don't read about dropped milling machines too often because even though a Bridgeport weighs 2,000lbs plus (newer versions anyway), probably 1,500lbs of that is in the bottom half so they don't tip over easily.

I'm sure others will add all sorts of stuff I missed. Good luck!

In case my description of chokering the bed brace didn't make sense....wasn't actually lifting it here, just a quick pic for reference.

IMG_3724.PNG

I'd go so far to say that even if you move just the bed and headstock on something like an appliance dolly or hand truck, strap it to the dolly so it can't move. You don't want to be pulling the dolly with one hand while holding the lathe with the other.

Good point, I secured mine with to the cart with multiple tiedown straps. It seems like an obvious thing to tie it down but is easily overlooked when it is only a short roll to its new home.

Lots of good info here. Let me add my two cents :)

When I was bringing in my 2500lbs lathe I bit the bullet and I paid extra to rent a big truck with a built in crane (they use them for delivering pallets of construction materials). I was picking it up from a very tightly built up residential area and there was no chance whatsoever of getting a forklift in there and the truck. Unloading was a breeze too. The manual described proper lifting method. All my machine manuals describe proper lifting points. Some machines (like my surface grinder) has special inch thick part threaded rods one screws into the casting as lifting points.

Another 2 times when I was bringing in my over 3k lbs mill and an over 2k lbs surface grinder I chose to get a flatbed truck used for car recovery(so the bed has lifters than can lower the back right down and a winch) . It was a lot cheaper, but unsuitable for a lathe most likely. When we arrived the guy simply lifted the bed and slowly lowered the winch. It looked rather precarious, but both machines slid nice and slow to the bottom, then he drove forward last few ft.

Now I had machines sitting in the unpaved dirt.

Then in case of a lathe and a surface grinder I hired a local guy with a medium sized digger loader. He has forks to put onto the front loader. He lifted the machines and simply put them in through large garage style doors into my workshop. Once on concrete I used a simple 1 person moving method. I used a bunch of steel rods I cut in advance. They were used as rollers. I also used two pry bars (a normal one and a 3ft long one) to push machines around and lift them enough to put steel bars under.

So let me say that if there are no staircases and doors are big enough moving heavy equipment by hand is not that hard.

However stairs are an entirely different matter. The only time I was defeated when attempting to move a big chunk of iron is when I bought a large (650lbs) gun safe. I was planning to put it upstairs into my house. The dimensions were such that it should fit through the stairs. I also hired a professional moving crew of 5 guys (one "manager", 4 movers) who assured me "no problem doing that" in advance when given all the details. On the day, they had one look at the safe and the manager said, sorry, there is no way to do it safely.... I briefly considered hiring a crane and putting it in through a balcony window, but I gave up on that idea. I ended up putting the safe in another building and buying a smaller one for the house...

Not to put a jinx in the janx, I pretty much lived in a field service truck when I worked for Cummins engine co mining division.
Pretty much all my work was on the largest diesel engines Cummins made . And or the largest mining equipment in the world I never broke a engine in transit or removing and replacing one..
I also erected several large Hitachi shovels including major repairs.

THE PLAN
First things first the lathe, the needs to have all the oils removed on the outside of the lathe.
The lathe is being converted to cut wood,, I cannot touch a oily lathe and then the wood.

I bought my lathe from local machine shop also a friend, I can disassemble the lathe and spray clean it with solvent sprayer air gun at his shop.
My plan is to move everything by hand, one piece at time, talking my time doing it just like the old man I am .
I really am not in a hurry. to move the lathe.
Once I start to move the lathe then I want to get the lathe moved so parts don't get lost or rusted,

The lathe is on a factory made stand not the cabinet not home made ,

I will remove the tail stock, carriage ,motor , the motors guard, and the gear box with the lead screw.

The spindle ,,,,, not sure... my worry is getting the spindle aliened up again .. I am not sure if I should remove the spindle or not,
Please advise.

At this point the lathe bed with the spindle and stand is what is left ,
I am GUESSING under 300 pounds at this point .
Big question is do I remove the bed from the stand ? Chances are I will ,, but not 100% on this either .

I only have transport the lathe about 2 miles
I have appliance dolly with straps,, but not sure about standing lathe bed and spindle on its end ,, The spindle has a oil breather on it so it will leak spindle oil ?

At my home The lathe will have go from the trailer to the top of my redwood deck . 3.5 ft in height
Either from the equipment trailer or the back of pick up bed to the deck,
OR into the mobility scooter elevator and raised it up.

Once on the deck not sure if the stand would better being on or off to move inside my home ?
I guess make that decision then.

I think I need two strong guys that are careful to handle the lathe by hand.
Me doing any heavy lifting is not possible anymore.

Thats the plan,, and we all know how sometimes the plan just doesn't work LOL

The spindle ,,,,, not sure... my worry is getting the spindle aliened up again .. I am not sure if I should remove the spindle or not,
Please advise.

I pulled the spindle on mine. Mine is on a cabinet with an underdrive motor and variable speed Reeves drive, so I had to pull the spindle to separate the lathe from the cabinet.
As it was the first time I had ever done something like that, it was a bit of a challenge, but I managed. There was no issue getting it lined up again as the way it is made and fits into the bearings takes care of any alignment issues It either fits or it doesn't, there was no adjustment to be made.

Personally, if I disassemble a machine for transport, it goes back together very close to where it is going to live. I don't see much point in putting it back together and then moving it some more.

Although I had some experience with mechanical things (working on my cars etc), my only experience moving machine tools before the 950lb 11" Powermatic was my little Sherline lathe and mill which together weigh under 100lbs.
Take your time and plan your movements. There are a few bits that require a bit of force to get off which can be nerve racking, just think 2 or 3 times about what you are doing before resorting to a bigger hammer.

I am curious why you are buying a metal lathe for wood working, seems like I see similar sized wood lathes usually for much less money than a metal lathe, also generally lighter in weight and less complex.

I pulled the spindle on mine.
I am curious why you are buying a metal lathe for wood working, seems like I see similar sized wood lathes usually for much less money than a metal lathe, also generally lighter in weight and less complex.
If the spindle is easy to algin then i will remove it to. transport the lathe.

I am the only wooden pipe maker in the world making exotic inlayed wooden pipes over glass tubing..
The glass tubing is replicable, to do that I have to live cut male and female threads in or on the wood. < that's the reason for the metal lathe.<

I also use a gun drill to bore my wooden pieces and need a sturdy precision lathe to do that.
All my cuts on wood is done using a veneer trimmer mounted on the tool post.

1680289489827.png
1680289951811.png
I Don't know how to do this on a wood lathe
1680290131540.png
1680290471334.png

If the spindle is easy to algin then i will remove it to. transport the lathe.

I am the only wooden pipe maker in the world making exotic inlayed wooden pipes over glass tubing..
The glass tubing is replicable, to do that I have to live cut male and female threads in or on the wood. < that's the reason for the metal lathe.<

I also use a gun drill to bore my wooden pieces and need a sturdy precision lathe to do that.
All my cuts on wood is done using a veneer trimmer mounted on the tool post.

View attachment 443072
View attachment 443078
I Don't know how to do this on a wood lathe
View attachment 443080
View attachment 443082

Wow, yeah a rather specialized use.
Initially I assumed smoking pipes, but those look awfully large for that. What is the intended use?

Wow, yeah a rather specialized use.
Initially I assumed smoking pipes, but those look awfully large for that. What is the intended use?
Live cutting male and female threads in wood is the main reason for the logan lathe.
I wanted to also cut tapered V groves for inlays . but i scratched that thought. I will have to make a tapering Machine

Live cutting male and female threads in wood is the main reason for the logan lathe.
I wanted to also cut tapered V groves for inlays . but i scratched that thought. I will have to make a tapering Machine

But what are the pipes used for? They look to big for smoking pipes, super decorative water pipes, fancy aquarium set ups?

Back