Mr Petes newest release

GK1918

Active User
Registered
His newest release being a powered leed screw on his Atlas. Over many years in my aquired stock
(of junk) I do have the controler, fwd/rev gear motor, tons of pulleys and belts, and I have always
wanted to do this only to a SB. Problem is, there is no room for a lead screw pulley. My guess is the
Atlas screw sticks out of the support bearing further. I do not want to move the support bearing, or
weld, or drill and tap the lead screw. Any ideas without using glues. To bad there is not enough
clearance left of the bearing or Id cut a pulley in half and clamp it. Also I really dont want to drive it
off the lead screw gear either. So anyone that has an Atlas, just tell me the screw sticks past the
bearing for a pulley, then this idea will go to rest. sam

My Hardinge lathe has an electric motor on the feedscrew and I can't imagine doing it any other way. A setup like this would be a simple and very useful addition to any lathe.

Tom

There are 2 jamb nuts on the outer end of the leadscrew. So yes the leadscrew extends pass the right hand bracket on the Atlas.

I watched that vid with interest. I'd love to do similar to my Atals. Other than a wire feeder for a welder, what other motor would be suitable? Maybe a treadmill? I also wonder how you'd gauge the feed speed? The feed is going to stay the same no matter what speed the lathe turns, so feed per revolution would beretty tough to calculate.

Unless you are running production where time is money, there is no need to calculate feed. All you are interested in is getting a good finish and making the tool survive. In other words, you just adjust the feed rate based on the appearance of the part and the chip.

Tom

Back