MT # 3 Mill holder for Logan lathe

It depends on which Logan lathe you have. If it's a 9" or 10" it will work. If it's an 11" lathe, they had a couple different tapers depending on the vintage.

Both of the end mill holders you linked to require a draw bar. Do you have a milling attachment for your lathe? The holders you linked to are 1/2" which is pretty large for milling on a lathe.

Steve

Yes, it is a 10" lathe.
I have a milling attachment, never used it, not sure what is what with it. There is a vice that came with the lathe, and I was watching a video on You Tube, don't know if the vice may belong with the milling attachment.
So those would work?
I thought I could use a piece of 3/8" all thread as a draw bar?
Maybe a 3/8" mill would be a better choice?

It depends on which Logan lathe you have. If it's a 9" or 10" it will work. If it's an 11" lathe, they had a couple different tapers depending on the vintage.

Both of the end mill holders you linked to require a draw bar. Do you have a milling attachment for your lathe? The holders you linked to are 1/2" which is pretty large for milling on a lathe.

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a 3/8" one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morse-Taper-MT3-End-Mill-Holder-3-8-Inch-/350737841922?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item51a99abf02

- - - Updated - - -

m-KmJgc44TbeHqNXT5K77nA.jpgLike in this "end mill" do/Can I mill with the end only, or can I mill with the side of it?

m-KmJgc44TbeHqNXT5K77nA.jpg

Yep, those will work.

Usually the milling attachment will include a "vise" of some sort that is attached to a vertical lead screw so you can raise/lower the part you are milling.

I would probably go with the 3/8" for using on the lathe. The 1/2" will work, but I think in general folks are tempted to take bigger cuts with bigger end mills, which isn't a good idea when milling on the lathe.

Steve

OK Thanks, I will have to look at the attachment I have.
There is a whole set of the holders at tools for cheap, but I don't know if I need a full set just to use once in a while.

I wouldn't spent the money on a whole set. Just buy a 3/8" end mill and holder and use it a couple of times with your milling attachment on your lathe. That will be enough to convince you that it's time to invest in a mill. Hey, you know you need it, you know you want it! :))

Steve

I wouldn't spent the money on a whole set. Just buy a 3/8" end mill and holder and use it a couple of times with your milling attachment on your lathe. That will be enough to convince you that it's time to invest in a mill. Hey, you know you need it, you know you want it! :))

Steve

This place is full of good influences.

I assume you main motivation is to mill your "T" nut for your QCTP. Stevecmo is probably right about the limited capabilities of the milling attachment. The milling attachment for the lathe and the even less capable XY table on my drill press are the only working mill capability I currently have. I do have an Atlas MF horizontal that has been disassembled for way too long. I will say that with light cuts I have been able to accomplish many milling tasks on the lathe including the "T" nut, woodruff keys for a replacement shaft on the lathe apron and a few small projects in aluminum. I used a 3/8" end mill for all of the projects except the woodruff key. IIRC the woodruff key cutter has a 1/2" shaft.

On the other hand I have made very good use of the 5C Collet chuck which I use for holding material (mostly) and milling cutters. I actually fit the back plate to the 5C collet chuck using the lantern tool post. After I had that done I used the 5C collet chuck to hold the end mill to mill the "T" nut for the QCTP.

I'm jonesing for a working mill.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, Cut my hand pretty good at work today.
Can still move my finger OK, but the ER doctor wants me to see a surgeon Monday, so I'll see what he says.
Guess I nicked the tendon a bit.
(He is said to be good. James Shope. BTY,anyone ever heard of him?)

Hopefully everything will heal up fast, and I'll be back to working in the shop again.
Albeit more careful from now on.

Yeah, I want to mill the T nut. I can make one out of two pieces of metal, welded on the ends if I wanted to, but I'd like to see how the lathe will handle light milling.
Heck yeah I'd like to have a vertical BP, but space is an issue right now. Maybe I will find a little one, I don't know.

Be careful out there guys. I was careless today.

Back