MT 5, 6 or something else

Yep...even my 1970’s era American made Clausing is a MT 4.5
I said the same thing. Oh my gosh. How can that be. Anyway, once past the shock of a Morse Taper in halves, I found a used adapter to go from MT 4.5 to MT 3 on EBay

not sure I’d really invest in that again even though I don’t regret buying it. I say that because when I want to turn between centers... I usually just stick a round chunk of steel in my 3 jaw chuck and turn a 60 degree point on it and that’s my dead center. It’s easier than removing my chuck.
I know this is an old post but I have an old 1920s sunstrand 14 inch lathe. I couldn't figure out which taper it had after but after some research I concluded that the only thing it could be due to the measurents was a morse taper 4.5. I noticed that the specs in terms of taper angle was almost the same as Mt 4. I searched the internet and couldn't even find a Mt 4.5 dead center. I just said to he'll with it, I put my mt4 dead center between centers and indicated it in with my taper attachment. After cutting the taper and cleaning the spindle bore up with a little fine grit it fit perfect. I even get that nice satisfying thunk when I seat the taper in the spindle. After wiping the ear to ear grin off my face I went ahead and turned a drawbar and nut. So I guess you could say that if you have an mt4 dead center. It's close enough to and Mt 4.5 it will work if you want to make your own stuff. Maybe I'll make that er 40 collet chuck next:) hope this helps.

That link is very useful for sorting things out. If MT 5.5 doesn't work out, check that it isn't a Jarno taper of .050/inch!

My Nardini has a 1:20 taper spec in the spindle, which I want to say is the same as 0.050 mathematically. I have a ground adapter insert to go from 52mm out and has a MT4 on the inner diameter of the reducer. It sure is nice to want to reduce your spindle bore, isn't it?

I googled Victor 16 inch lathe spindle specs.

Attachments

• 940EAE10-DEA8-43C2-B1C8-49C0F12CBAB1.png
    940EAE10-DEA8-43C2-B1C8-49C0F12CBAB1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
I have the same issue on my PBR (Italian) lathe.
MT5 is too small and MT6 is too big.
I was able to get a factory drawing for an adapter sleeve for spindle to MT3. (see below)
The drawing shows that the spindle taper is 1:19,180.
1 degree, 19 minutes, 180 seconds.
This is the taper angle of 6MT.
The ID dimensions of the spindle are not MT6.
I have a pile of "don't" fit sleeves and dead centers.

I was trying to find a sleeve to adapt the spindle to 5C for a closer.

Ultimately I made one.

PBR Spindle.JPG

For your giggles my LeBlond headstock has a D1-6 chuck mount and a Morse Taper 6.5. Yes it is true. A MT6 just slides too far, and then wiggles several thou at the large end. Luckily I have the MT6.5 adapter to MT3 with the lathe. so all is OK.

Back