MT 5, 6 or something else

If you suspect that your headstock and tailstock are out of alignment, then a tapered item sounds like a great first project!

I found that the margin for error for a tapered dead center going into a spindle nose is more than you would think. The first dead center that I made, I thought I had completely hosed the angle (I did overshoot it a little, resulting in too shallow of an angle), and it fit wonderfully. By the time I made the fourth one, I had the angle down pat, and the resulting fit is too tight for my taste. A proper Morse taper male and female pressed together is not always so easy to get apart.

Last edited:
Yep...even my 1970’s era American made Clausing is a MT 4.5
I said the same thing. Oh my gosh. How can that be. Anyway, once past the shock of a Morse Taper in halves, I found a used adapter to go from MT 4.5 to MT 3 on EBay

not sure I’d really invest in that again even though I don’t regret buying it. I say that because when I want to turn between centers... I usually just stick a round chunk of steel in my 3 jaw chuck and turn a 60 degree point on it and that’s my dead center. It’s easier than removing my chuck.

If you suspect that your headstock and tailstock are out of alignment, then a tapered item sounds like a great first project!

I found that the margin for error for a tapered dead center going into a spindle nose is more than you would think. The first dead center that I made, I thought I had completely hosed the angle (I did overshoot it a little, resulting in too shallow of an angle), and it fit wonderfully. By the time I made the fourth one, I had the angle down pat, and the resulting fit is too tight for my taste. A proper Morse taper male and female pressed together is not always so easy to get apart.
Thanks man looks like I have me a little project!!!

Yep...even my 1970’s era American made Clausing is a MT 4.5
I said the same thing. Oh my gosh. How can that be. Anyway, once past the shock of a Morse Taper in halves, I found a used adapter to go from MT 4.5 to MT 3 on EBay

not sure I’d really invest in that again even though I don’t regret buying it. I say that because when I want to turn between centers... I usually just stick a round chunk of steel in my 3 jaw chuck and turn a 60 degree point on it and that’s my dead center. It’s easier than removing my chuck.
That’s what I typically do now. it’s just frustrating not being able to get something going from a 14x40 to a 16x60 has been costly

Can you indicate it to find the taper angle, then measure the diameters, after that, table look up would do.

Can you indicate it to find the taper angle, then measure the diameters, after that, table look up would do.

Starrett sells an attachment for a dial indicator that allows a DI to be used to indicate the inside of a tapered bore.

This optional attachment works very nicely with a DI on a mag base.

Here it is:

A6600137-AC82-474A-BEC4-1A87F06D88F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Morse Taper specs. Little Machine Shop resources has a good taper specs section.

Morse Taper specs. Little Machine Shop resources has a good taper specs section.
That link is very useful for sorting things out. If MT 5.5 doesn't work out, check that it isn't a Jarno taper of .050/inch!

Killswitch Is that lathe a D1-6. I have a headstock bushing that I made for a 15" colchester Its bigger than a MT5 if you could get some rough measurements I can compare to what I have. I dont have the lathe anymore so you can have this bushing if it will fit. The id is a MT3 or 4

Back