MT2 drawbar spindle question

HillbillyDeluxe39

Registered
Registered
In my quest to acquire tooling I've found most Morse taper tooling has a "tang" From what I have read this is meant for disengagement of the taper, not to apply torque. Is it safe to assume I can use these tools in my MT2 spindle with a drawbar and use the drawbar to disengage them? My spindle doesn't have a slot for a drift.

Mt-2 spindle like on a Bridgeport "M" head? Should take special collets I would not risk the taper by driving tools that are not properly controlled by a tang or drawbar.

Is there an adapter? My mill has a Mt2 with 3/8 drawbar, I have some collets that fit straight shank drills and end mills. However I have a bunch of drills and reamers that are Mt1 and 2 but they aren't tapped for a drawbar, they have a tang like tooling for a drill press.

Here's a thread where I cut off the tang and drill/tap for a draw-bar on some B&S #11 tooling:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...ng-and-add-draw-bar-threads.79708/post-683988

In that thread are comments about people not cutting the tang off, just drill and tap thru it.

Some spindles (like mine) will not accept the tangs.

-brino

EDIT: I use a long "coupler nut" on the end of the draw bar, so when I tap it to loosen, the impact is spread across many threads.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't try to mod the tang stuff to use with the milling machine. Dedicate it just for the drill press, as God intended :big grin:
-M

Personally I wouldn't try to mod the tang stuff to use with the milling machine. Dedicate it just for the drill press, as God intended :big grin:
-M

I guess that was my real question, is all this "tang" tooling I'm finding originally ment for a drill press.

I could use it if I had a mt2 adapter ment for tang tools, but I worry that might compound any run-out error.

Yes typically tang tooling is meant for drill press use, or lathe tailstock- as far as I know

Back