Multifunction TIG/Stick/Plasma unit

homebrewed

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been looking at inexpensive plasma cutters and came across a class of machines that combine TIG and stick welding along with plasma cutting. Like the CTS-200 here.. For less than $500 it looks like it offers a lot in a relatively small package. From reviews of cheap TIG units I suspect it really isn't capable of outputting 200 amps (maybe the Chinese amp is different), but it still might be OK for many jobs. Does anyone here have any experience using one of these? Or comments on multi-function boxes in general?

I think that one thing that gets overlooked is that the welder needs to weld with A/C current to weld aluminum. Thats puts most welders up close to $1000.

I can see where the AC might be a factor if it needs to be something other than 60 Hz, but if 60 Hz will do a transformer is about as simple as it gets, and shouldn't cost all that much. I would be happy to be educated on what other factors are at play.

Another thing to look for is the availability and price of consumables. Most company's use their own design therefore the only game in town. So its not like you run out and get them at your local dealer.

Good point on the consumables. That is the reason why ink jet printers are so cheap -- vendors like HP, Epson etc. make most of their money on the ink. I also ran into that approach with some lab consumables -- one machine vendor sold cutters, basically like miniature end mills, but they had .120" diameter shanks (and their built-in EM holder also had a smaller ID) so you had to buy their (expensive) cutters. I got around that problem by making an adapter with my lathe so we could use end mills with 1/8" shanks. They were dirt cheap by comparison.

they end up not doing any one thing well. Look at the new AHP 200x welder...it will cover everything you need. I did pick up a new Plasma (cut 50) from Amazon and have been pretty happy with it, but the 3k and up plasma...beautiful edges if thats important to you. I think you could get the AHP and a 40-50 amp plasma for you 1k and be much happier.

I started this journey while looking at the Cut50. Did you get the 50A or one of the more expensive versions (50C,50D etc)?

Looks like AHP has the AlphaTIG 201X on sale for $690.

I have one word of caution on all-in-one machines: If one component fails, you lose all three functions.

Replacement parts are a sketchy prospect for an import machine. I get that the machines at your local welding supplier cost many times more, but those brands have a service network for parts and repairs well beyond the machines' market lifecycle. I can still get parts and schematics for my 40-year old Miller TIG machine. I'd hate to throw it away on the curb like an old sofa or TV over a burned $2 diode or a $15 rectifier.

Back