Mushy Spindle Feed PM-932M

CrossSlide

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’ve had my PM-932M for about four months. When I lower the spindle and come in contact with a work piece the handle continues to travel about another two inches. It feels like a spring is collapsing before the handle stops turning. Is this the expected functionality? Is so why? My previous mill and current drill press do not work this way.

I take it that you are referring to the course feed. Does the fine feed work properly? Is the clamping knob for the course feed hub (part 88 on the parts sheet) tight?

Yes both course feed and fine feed have do the same thing. The Clamp Knob (prt. 88) works correctly but both fine and course feed continues to feed after the tool is touching the work piece.

Let's see if I understand. You lower the spindle down to drill a hole and touch the work. The down feed handle continues to turn but the spindle doesn't descend any further? After another 2" of travel the spindle starts down again? And you have the full 5" of spindle travel?

No, once the work is touched it travels 1"-2" approx. then becomes firm.

Looking at the parts breakdown the key (101) on pinion shaft (83) must be sheared.

But if the key is sheared I wouldn't think it would engage the shaft (83) at all?

Last edited:
I've had sheared keys on lathe driveshafts that would power the shafts until they came under load. Can you remove knob (88) and see the keyway?

Ok, I'll check it out. But first I need to finish a small project just in case pulling it apart breaks it completely. ;) Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.....I would be interested in what you find.

Back