Muzzle brakes

ranch23

Active User
Registered
Using my steady rest and collet chuck to hold rifle barrels to thread for muzzle brakes. I install 50+ per year. The problem is the steady rest leaves marks on the barrel. Most of these are finished rifles and I do not want to reblue. My thought was to make the rollers on my steady out of "plastic". Tried UHMW, had some in the shop, didn't work. Anyone have any reccomendations on what to try or use?

I think it's tough enough, I had trouble getting it to rotate with the spinning barrel. I may try it again and turn it to a different size. But thought that you fellows might have a better material in mind.

I am glad you brought this up! I have been thinking about making some new roller bearing fingers for the steady rest like the Grizzly G4003G uses. Just wondering what the disadvantage would be. The other alternative is to use a spider in the steady rest but then you would have to dial it in similar to a 4 jaw every time.

No there are many different sizes. And they are all tapered.

Hmmm, wonder if heat shrink would last long enough and stay together, and be accurate enough. I will try it on a take off barrel.

I have some roller bearings for my steady and they leave marks on tapered barrels also. I have done these through the headstock, between centers and in the steady rest. I think the steady rest is the way to go if I can do it with no damage to the barrel.

I do them between centers or with the chamber end chucked and a live center at the muzzle.

I have done them that way with a piloted bushing, which is probably the best way. Then no recrowning.

Back