Muzzle brakes

I was thinking that sssfox had a good idea. A split bushing that is long enough to use a gear clamp to close it up to the barrel. The gap at the split might be an issue, maybe a cut on an angle, or make a bushing for each typical OD to reduce the size of the gap?
I have turned an old Win 92 barrel between centers and had to redo the crown as well. I was surprised about that.

Similar to what ssfox recommended, you could use an official "cats head". I had to make one once for a weird propeller shaft that had about 6 sides along the length but was round at the ends. You'd have to use brass bolts or some other way to protect the surface from the holding bolts. Setting this thing up took a little time as I recall but maybe improves with practice. Here's a pic I grabbed off the Net...

033sm.png

I remembered that in Gun Kinks book from Brownells, there is a tip on using autobody filler to make a bushing on barrel. You have to true it up before using naturally. Not as speedy as using a cat head. In the same line, using a wooden bushing will work as well.

How about pressing the 3 steady rest bearings into UHMW sleeves? You could even taper the OD of the sleeves to approximate the barrel taper to have more contact.

Tom

I have done them that way with a piloted bushing, which is probably the best way. Then no recrowning.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that!

You just make them as you need them for different calibers. Keep them until the next time you need them.

Similar to what ssfox recommended, you could use an official "cats head". I had to make one once for a weird propeller shaft that had about 6 sides along the length but was round at the ends. You'd have to use brass bolts or some other way to protect the surface from the holding bolts. Setting this thing up took a little time as I recall but maybe improves with practice. Here's a pic I grabbed off the Net...

That is what I was talking about I was calling it a spider. Works great and will ride in the steady rest so the steady rest only marks it. But it does take some time to set up.

Back