My 1340 has arrived!

chiroone

Registered
Registered
I finally received the PM1340GT preferred package. The delivery driver was a really cool guy and between the three of us we were able to push the beast in my garage and put it on a couple the harbor freight dollies so I can roll it into its proper position. And then plan on using Mark’s method of a D ring hoisting ring and a couple of an aluminum plates and a 2 ton Harbor freight hoist to put it on the stand.

Dr. Mark has graciously agreed to build me one of his legendary phase converters and in the next few weeks when it gets here, I will wire it up and start making chips.

F7774C9E-85BA-44B1-84BD-C444F109ECD0.jpeg

Last edited:
You can do a lot of work with a 13x40. I love my mine (Enco though).

I finally received the PM1340GT preferred package. The delivery driver was a really cool guy and between the three of us we were able to push the beast in my garage and put it on a couple the harbor freight dollies so I can roll it into its proper position. And then plan on using Mark’s method of a D ring hoisting ring and a couple of an aluminum plates and a 2 ton Harbor freight hoist to put it on the stand.

Dr. Mark has graciously agreed to build me one of his legendary phase converters and in the next few weeks when it gets here, I will wire it up and start making chips.

View attachment 294429
Looks great, my 1340gt arrived with a 3" hole punched in the wood crate and the pallet broken in 2 places. Lucky lathe was unaffected except headstock was out of alignment.

I took some of the wood off for the shipping crate to be able to expose the machine in its full glory. It looks like a real beautiful machine from what I can tell. I did go for an upgrade on the chuck to Chandon 3 jaw set thru. Have a couple small issues, they were supposed to send the micro stop the mark and they included in the crate but they did not include the Hitachi VFD. I’m wondering if it is possible that the shipping department confused what part should’ve went where. I’ve already sent an email to them and I am sure they’ll fix the situation ASAP.

Here is a picture of the little beauty out of the crate. The next fun job will be getting it off the pallet and onto the stand. An event I am not particularly looking forward to. But I know it’s been done many times before and it’s just something that I will have to do.

5A07670D-D305-48BE-B76C-1AB3D98952CE.jpeg

The Hitachi drive will be shipped to you directly from Hitichi. I bought my mill this spring and the drive was not in the crate. I called PM and was told it ships from the factory. It arrived in a day or so. Contact PM and they will get you a tracking number.
Nice Lathe enjoy

Roger L

My Jet GH1340 came with a lifting eye installed on the bed at exactly the center of gravety of the lathe. That made it real easy to use the HF 2 ton hoist to pick it up and put it where I want it. I should still have it somewhere. I do not know if it will fit your machine. I could let you borrow it if you want.

Fly, I very much appreciate the offer, but I already purchased a D ring hoisting bolt. Just trying to develop the bravado to have at. Also, it is hot as blue blazes here and I’m trying to wait till it cools off just a couple of degrees. I’m having a ductless AC unit installed in my garage, but until such time it’s like a sauna out there . Just some of the benefits and liabilities of living in Florida!

You are going to have an extra set of hands, right?

Enjoy your new toy...err...lathe. I've had mine for about four years now and it still runs like it did when it was new. :)

My son is definitely going to help me get in on the stand and I’m hoping my next-door neighbor is well. I do have a question though I was trying to put the door handles on the cabinets on either side of the stand and I can’t seem to figure out how to get the latch mechanism to work. No matter how many different ways I install it, that little bar seems to hit the flange of the door. Can anyone send me a picture of how it goes

Back