My ‘36 Chrysler Airstream speedometer needed calibration

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This information seems to be hard to find, so a new topic.
The speedo was slightly slow based upon the reading from the gps unit. Research shows that 60 mph equals 1000 rpm on the drive cable.
Disassembled the speedometer via removing the trim bezel and glass. Removed the needle by carefully pulling up off the pin and the face plate was set aside. Reinstalled the indicator. And placed a mark on the edge of the speedo marking 60 mph.

Inside the unit there is a small loop indicated in the photo with the yellow line. That is the adjuster. I made a mark with a marker of the original position of the center of the hole, blue line.

I set up my lathe to 1000 rpm and installed my collet chuck with a #2 Robertson square drive. In reverse, clockwise when looking at the spindle.

Carefully placed the speedo onto the driver in the cable socket and started the lathe. I have a VFD on the motor so it is not a fast start. Takes about 5 seconds to get to speed. The indicator was slow. Stop and now I moved the adjuster (yellow line points to the loop) and moved it clockwise by a small amount and retested. Took a couple moves to be satisfied.

The final position is shown by the new mark, red line in photo. The loop is centered on the new mark.

Reinstall all the removed parts and reinstall in the dash.
Pierre

0F0E30C2-EDE6-41A7-A624-9EF43A988A44.jpegDC3A8F3D-09B0-44B5-BDF7-AF29282781A9.jpegAC804EC6-7479-4588-8F6D-674DD1ED235F.jpeg

Airstream not Airflow
Chrysler produced Airflow starting in 1934, sales were not great so in 1935 redesigned the car and sold as Airstream for ‘35 and 36. Plymouth and DeSoto as well. All Airstream based cars were discontinued in 37 and the Airflow was gone in 38.

Pierre
5AB10131-DBB0-499F-A66B-30D505F637ED.jpeg

Absolutely beautiful car.
Had a chance to try the speedometer out now?

The Airstream name as we know is commonly related to the trailers. Suburban name was used by many manufacturers in the past before GM registered it for their use only.

Yes.
Drove on Sunday afternoon down to Niagara Falls and back to local fresh home made ice cream in celebration. My projects over the winter was to clean up the wiring under the dash, been messed with over the last 86 years and the speedometer. Also did the front seat with new springs and burlap, which is in another post. Winter projects are done and time to drive!
Pierre

Last edited:
Went for a extensive drive on Sunday and confirmed that the speedo is now accurately reading the same as the GPS at all speeds. Still fiddling with the gas tank unit to read full when full. I did a rewind and it is better but not full when full. I will pull it again and do some mods again.
Pierre

Back