My 70 Nova project (Formerly looking at this mustang)

Made it to see the muffler man today. Waiting to get in. I hope with having tail pipes it will sound better and be a little quieter.

Attachments

• 20220526_112215.jpg
    20220526_112215.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 7
I tried a few different mufflers on my 65 Mustang. I loved the sound of Flowmasters (when not in the car) but the drone inside the car got to me after a while. I ended up going with Borla SS. X-pipe helps the noise a little bit. I was running dual 3” mandrel bent pipes after the X-pipe, and then 2+1/2 over the axles and out the back.

I did some Dyno pulls with different exhaust and was really surprised how much an efficient exhaust system helps or hurts. this was done when I had a milder 425HP 351, the exhaust over the axles at the time was 2” non mandrel bent dumping into the factory GT trumpets that where very restrictive. Picked up 29HP without those crappy tail pipes.

I just got another email from a person following this thread asking me to post what I've been doing to the car.

The exhaust is done, don't like exactly how the tips come out, but can live with it. The guy worked on it for at least 4 hours and charged me $129. I was dumbfounded. I gave him $20 extra and told him to go have a beer on me. But I still don't like the sound. But I can definitely tell it's not restrictive.

I got the front end aligned and they couldn't get the caster set right because the a-arm would hit the header. So it doesn't return the wheel back to straight by itself after a turn. The steering felt heavy, too heavy. Pulled the steering box off and it was very difficult to turn it. So did some research and was "told" that a jeep cherokee box is a direct bolt on. Sure..........what an idiot I am for believing anything I find on the internet. Since the box if from the 90's the mounting bolts are metric and finding those bolts was fun. I was almost ready to go find a cherokee in the junk yard and get the bolts from it, but I finally found a set that were long enough and the proper grade 8 rating.

Then the steering shaft was different on the new box, mine is 36 spline and the new one is 30 spline. So had to order that it. Got it all on and yes the new rag joint was naturally indexed differently and the steering wheel was about 45 deg off. No problem, pop the wheel off and index it. Problem, the wheel adapter uses 1/4" x 28 bolts. You would think I'd have some kind of bolt around here that would work, but that wasn't the case. So a 3o mile trip to the hardware store for $2.70 worth of bolts and got the wheel off and re positioned. Still doesn't return but steering easier. I don't think there is much more I can do to it.

Yesterday at my wife's work they had a going away party for her boss and I drove the nova. The guy took the truck driving course they offered and the day he graduated he put in his notice to go somewhere else for a slightly higher paying truck driving job. Kinda crappy way to do things, but my wife is now the lead person in her area, along with a raise in pay. After 11 months walking in the door she went from newbie to department lead.

Her co workers came out and looked at "her" nova. Some of them had no idea what they were looking at but the big boss is a car guy and when I opened the hood he started asking non stop questions. Turns out he has a 67 camaro he bought years ago and it's just sitting. He won't sell it, I asked.

On my way home I stopped by

Manual Mac

place. He welded the wheel studs for me and wanted to see the car. Was nice to see him again.

I'm still after 3 months waiting for my front seat. I texted him yesterday and told him I will be there tomorrow to either get my completed seat, or my seat and my money back. No response from him yet.

Now I'm looking for a 55 to build.

My ultimate dream car.

My logger friend is on the lookout too...

Thank you. NC Jeeper gas a 55 he's thinking about selling. He's going to send me some pics. He's on the east coast and shipping is the killer. I'm getting quotes of $2850 to $3k. But for the right car I'd pay it.

I'd like to find something closer and put the extra $2k or so saved on shipping in the car, but there is sometime to be said about buying a car from someone I trust on here.

Wow, shipping cars must be a cut throat business.

I've got quotes from $3019

Then...

$2986
$2985.58
$2885.56
$2885
$2882
$2881.15
$2799
$2752

All within 1 hour.

Plus a $100 service fee.

When it hits $2k or so I'll buy, that's if we can make a deal on the car.

Uship's estimate is $1810.00

I'm in no hurry, although I know everyone here wants to help me spend my money :p

With fuel, prices will go up for shipping....

Holy cow, now it's down to $1080.

By the way, NEVER put your correct phone number in a quote request for shipping. My phone is ringing non stop.

Come on NC Jeeper!!! Want to see those pics :grin:

After 11 months walking in the door she went from newbie to department lead.
That shows her talent and value to the company.

I'm in no hurry, although I know everyone here wants to help me spend my money :p
Yeah no rush.
We will help you spend it on car parts or tools one way or another......

Brian

Back