My 833T's new leather skirt

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I really like my 833T mill but did not like how the swarf could sit on the Y axis ways in front of the table. A member by the name of David P Best (you guys may have heard of him) suggested I make a protector out of leather, aka Stefan Gotteswinter style. So I asked my wife if she still had that leather skirt from when I met her on the street corner. A few days later the swelling around my eyes subsided enough that I could make out my computer screen and ordered up some fine Corinthian leather from the Bay.

I fab'd up a piece of aluminum to capture it onto the mill table and the other end is fastened to the mill base via double sided carpet tape (Mohawk Airo). I may change that method to metal holders also but this was proof of concept. I then drew up a "capture stop" in Solidworks and printed two off on my 3D printer. They keep the leather from interfering with the Y axis handle as the table moves forward. I also cut a slot in the leather to reduce the amount of material around the Y axis dial.

The whole system seems to work well. If the only method of table movement is counting dials, it would be a little bit of a pain with the leather near the dial but since I have a DRO that is a non issue for me.

Attachments

• 20210405_191420.jpg
    20210405_191420.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 191
  • 20210405_191440.jpg
    20210405_191440.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 186
  • 20210405_191515.jpg
    20210405_191515.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 171
  • 20210405_191539.jpg
    20210405_191539.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 202
Would felt wipers work just as well and take less space? I've thought of solutions, but so far, I just use blue shop paper towel to cover the ways.

Bump to ask how your [or anyone's] leather ways cover is holding up? Do they hold up to oils and solvents without mold, rot or attracting critters?

Bump to ask how your [or anyone's] leather ways cover is holding up? Do they hold up to oils and solvents without mold, rot or attracting critters?
I sold my 833T almost a year and a half ago. They were holding fine when I sold it but, of course, have no further information.

Boy! an awful lot of sexual innuendo flying around here. Next thing you know there will be talk of thigh high leather boots being used to cover the knee screw(did he say screw, GASP!!). Best(David?) be careful or before you know it the word machinist will be removed from the dictionary for obvious sexual content. Mike

Hopefully your not considering putting garter straps on your way cover. A bridge to far me thinks.

Back