My Bronze Flange Bushings

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
DSC02827.JPG Good afternoon guys,well couple weeks ago I ask a question about making bronze bushings by using a reamer.Ya'll recommended that I use a small boring bar instead which I was very apprehensive about doing that since I just don't have much experience using a lathe.So while ya'll were sleeping I surf the internet trying to find the size that I needed but was unsuccessful.So I went ahead and purchase some bronze 660 from a person and went to work on it Sunday afternoon.So this afternoon I finish one bushing needing two.All I can say is if I paid myself minimum wage per hr I would make Clausing look like parts at Walmart price.Dang it took me from Sunday afternoon to this afternoon.If I could have found them I would have paid Clausing prices but that's not fun is it.Its not perfect but it does fit the 9/16 drill rod shaft and it will press into the worm gear.What give me so much grief was just boring,yea I know how hard can that be.Well it was cause I did not know what I was doing.First I was using a homemade boring bar that came with some stuff and it was cutting pretty good but it was cutting on a tapper.Well after babying the cut I tried some HSS that the same guy also had it shape into a boring bar.That was the trick and it work perfectly and I was able to save the bronze that been working on for two days which I was just about ready to give up.I am one happy camper,here's some pics thanks for looking

DSC02824.JPG DSC02826.JPG

have fun, great job, I know the feeling, my first lathe was a 9 in. Southbend, and my first turning was some pvc pipe then moved on to aluminum.

Well Done!
I see you parted it off too.
Most folks would consider the parting the harder part of the job :)

If you have not discovered Tom's Techniques on YouTube, I highly recommend it. He has some videos that are "follow along" projects for shop tooling that are meant to teach a variety of shop techniques. He is a seriously good machinist, and his lathe will make you weep when you watch it run. His series on tool grinding is by far the best that I have seen, especially on the one of grinding threading tools. He really gets into the details, but makes it easy to understand at the same time.
Here is one where he does boing on the mill, the same principles apply to the lathe

Nice job Kroll!
Keep a couple of thoughts in mind when you are in this position again.
1 You'll NEVER learn how to machine if you just buy what you need.
2 The time you spent machining your bushings is called "tuition".
3 Your next job on your lathe will be easier because of this one.

Ya just gotta keep at it. Issues with cutters is common, especially with inherited tooling. It's a trial and error type of thang.....as well as a healthy dose of patience. Congrats on figgering it out.

Thanks guys, boy my mental state was like the hills up/down.I just knew I was going to mess up the part.Guys as you can see in the pic,thats the old bushing which is darker.But the one I made out of bronze looks more shinny,I hope its not brass.What do ya'll think

The old bushing was probably an oil lite bushing, they are impregnated with oil and are dark in color.
Your new bush does look like brass, but pictures lie where color is concerned.
brass makes a fine bushing, put it and see how it goes. If it wears out early, make a new one. By that time you will be able to do it your sleep.

Nice job Kroll. I use a lot of 660 bronze. It looks very shiny after machining but turns dark with age. I have some that has been sitting around the shop a few years that is so dark it looks like old copper pipe.

Back