My Cheap Kurt Vise

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A few weeks back I spotted an ad on CL for 2 Kurt 6 in. vises for $220 in San Jose. I posted the ad to the group, tagging John Matthews (@matthewsx) in Santa Cruz. Next thing I knew he had met with the guy and bought them. He kept one and I paid him for the other. Then my problem was getting it home to Shingletown. Freight quotes were ridiculous, then John told me he had some friends visiting from Placerville. On their return they dropped it at my daughter's in Sacramento. I drove down on Saturday and picked it up. Bonus points, I got to see my daughter, her not so new house and my grandson who was visiting from LA.

20221001_142006[1].jpg

Unfortunately, the vise came without jaws. I got on eBay and ordered a set of used step jaws for $25. They had some obvious idiot marks, but still looked to be useable. I expected a pair of cold-rolled shop made machinable jaws. They arrived today. To my surprise they are commercially made, hardened and ground. Not Rc 60 hard, but not cold-rolled either.

20221003_172522[1].jpg

So I got a nice, clean D675 for under $150 (not counting the gas to go visit my daughter.) I have another set of hardened, non-step jaws coming too.

Did you refurbish and paint it? Or is that how you got it? One heck of a deal either way. If you did paint it. What paint and color did you use? I am starting a refurb of the same vise right now.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Vises were refurbished by the seller, shop owner who is retiring and a really nice guy.

So happy to have been part of making this happen. @MrWhoopee posts so many great deals for others to scoop up it’s only fair to get one for him.

Love being part of this community, hope to get together with some of you soon.

John

Back