My Clock Build Project Thread

I decided to give the "tags" a try with FreeCAD. It took a bit to get the tag where I wanted it, but I got it there. I'm very happy with the results. I little cleanup on the belt grinder and a little filing and it looks good.

Using my newly acquired Albrecht drill chuck to drill the mounting holes.
IMG_6462.jpg

After the final pass. You can see the tag on the back side of the click spring which was sufficient to hold it in position.
IMG_6465.jpg

After a little cleanup. It could use some more after everything gets assembled and working.
IMG_6466.jpg

This is similar to a small spring I make for folding knives.

These are done on a CNC mill. Start by drilling/reaming the well oversize stock for the pin holes, and using those to screw the material down. Then rough mill almost all the way through the spring portion, leaving .010" or so on the bottom and a few thou on the sides. The final finishing pass is done cutting completely through the spring AND the side finishing at the same time. The trick here is the extra material of the oversize blank, and the last .010" of material on the bottom supports the spring until it's cut free. Leaves a pretty nicely finished long slender spring. Then mill the rest of the oversize stock free around the pin supports.

That part can go straight to heat treat, and will then get finished by hand with some paper and stones, etc.

Hopefully that makes sense.

I decided to give the "tags" a try with FreeCAD. It took a bit to get the tag where I wanted it, but I got it there. I'm very happy with the results. I little cleanup on the belt grinder and a little filing and it looks good.

Using my newly acquired Albrecht drill chuck to drill the mounting holes.
View attachment 446975

After the final pass. You can see the tag on the back side of the click spring which was sufficient to hold it in position.
View attachment 446976

After a little cleanup. It could use some more after everything gets assembled and working.
View attachment 446977
Excellent.....

Back