My Clock Build Project Thread

that is a very soothing and satisfying sound.

Awesome so far, but the real test will be whether the escapement delivers the right power to the pendulum. But that is an adjust you can make with files or diamond laps on the pallet surfaces.

Rick “interesting that the pallets open up” Denney

What do you mean? I ran it for a minute before I stopped it!

Just kidding. I know the true test is how much weight is used and if it runs and runs.

What do you mean? I ran it for a minute before I stopped it!

Just kidding. I know the true test is how much weight is used and if it runs and runs.
Okay, I learned something. I would have guessed that the rate the clock runs at is dependent on the pendulum weight/length. I thought you could speed up a clock by shortening the length of the pendulum and/or reducing the weight.

Bruce

Okay, I learned something. I would have guessed that the rate the clock runs at is dependent on the pendulum weight/length. I thought you could speed up a clock by shortening the length of the pendulum and/or reducing the weight.

Bruce
That's how it works on my wall pendulum clock, raising or lowering the pendulum is used to true the clock tick rate. Don't know about adding or subtracting weight.

The theoretical period of a pendulum is based solely on the length, I believe. It should be independent on the weight.

However, the weight I was referring to is the weight that drives the gear train. The less friction and better balanced everything is, the less weight is need to supply energy.

The theoretical period of a pendulum is based solely on the length, I believe. It should be independent on the weight.

However, the weight I was referring to is the weight that drives the gear train. The less friction and better balanced everything is, the less weight is need to supply energy.
On Synchronome type clocks (of which I am slowly building one) they apparently can fine tune the period with a weight tray on the pendulum. You could then add small weights on that tray to compensate.
I have no direct experience yet, just making the arbors.

Gerrit

Correct on the "period for a pendulum" formula (gotta love Google):

1673223963146.png

It's a function of pendulum length; only variable that matters (on this planet). I would imagine the formula assumes a frictionless "world", so maybe adding some weight would slow it down.

Bruce

@BGHansen Friction due to air, (along with barometric pressure compensation), expansion of the pendulum for heat (and its compensation) play a part in timing. In ultra accurate clockworks, the friction of the pallets is also minimized to reduce variances.

Back