My Edm Project.......

Nice one brino, yep, its heaps of fun.
Everyone who has seen mine in operation is amazed and cant believe it.

are you using deionised or distilled water?

are you using deionised or distilled water?

The label says "Distilled Water, Steam-Distilled Ozonated, dissolved mineral salts 0 ppm, fluoride ions 0 ppm."
I got it at the local drug store.
-brino

That shifts the EDM back up toward the top of the list. Nicely posted. Thanks.

Nice, this is something I may need to look into if I can ever make any progress on moving my woodworking shop equipment to the basement so I have room again in the garage...

That shifts the EDM back up toward the top of the list. Nicely posted. Thanks.

You are very welcome.

I was hesitant to start the project not knowing how well it would work. I pictured myself going crazy trying to tweak components to get it to work with each change breaking something else. It turned out much simpler than I expected. I really appreciated:
i) Savarin's post showing how simple his set-up was (and his mention of the Derek Lynas design)
ii) the amount of published info showing all the different ways to do it

I thought that if that many other people can make so many different designs actually work, then there is not just one right way.

I am not done, the set-up above should let me experiment with various spark power-supply designs.
I need to get the height adjustable first.
I have some ideas about a simpler stepper motor drive, too.

-brino

You might want to get a simple conductivity meter for your bath so you can monitor it as a function of your process. You may also want to consider a simple filtration system. If you are going to working mostly with a given metal, it is not too hard to just precipitate the metal out of solution. Check the qualitative analysis section of an analytical chemistry book for all the tables that you would need.

Brino: I built one in the 70s from an article in I think Popular Science or Mechanics. Simple with two incandescent bulbs, a couple caps and diodes. Ran on 120v. Cutting speed was kinda slow, always wanted to build a hot-rodded version but life got in the way.
No provision for auto advancing- just manual with a feedscrew. Used kerosene, never had a fire. For tools I had best results with graphite electrodes (back then you could find them in dry cell batteries)
I wish I knew the exact date of that article but I don't. Around late 60s or early 70s.
Mark S.
I think it was called "Build an EDM machine" or some such title.

Back