My first few projects

The projects were simple and were a good way for me to learn as i go. The first one was a bushing for my grinder wheel. I thought the plastic bushings were cheezy so i made a brass one. The second project was a brass hammer. This was my first taper and i used the compound rest method. I machined the end to fit snug into the hole drilled to recieve it. No other securing technique was used. Cute hey? The third was a set of three knobs for my mag drill. The mag drill is an md 40 chinese deal that i got at newman trading for 425 dollars. I love it and use it alot. I made a press stand for it. The cheezy plastic knobs that came on it sucked so i made some aluminum ones. I used the compound to approximate a ball by moving it in 10 degree increments till it looked a little like a ball then ran a 4 1/2 inch 120 grit grinder over it to shape it while it spun in the lathe (is this kosher or am i living too dangerously?) I threaded it for the shaft and it works great. The handle balls are all a little different but i dont have a ball turner attachment yet so thats what i was able to do. The next project not shown yet is a wine stopper. It is rare in my house that a bottle of wine would need a stopper, but it makes a fun project anyway. 2 inch aluminum was turned then drilled and reamed to 1/2 inch. I turned a piece of 3/4 inch brass down to fit very snug in the hole then finished the stopper back on the lathe. Fun to use some new techniques and experiment with some things. I'll put the wine stopper up next for you all to see. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Im a super beginner but i read and watch every thing i can to learn more. I think if tubalcain called my house i'd have no trouble recognizing the voice!

nice work!!!!
btw, it is ok to sand stuff while chucked up in the lathe,
just make sure to never wrap sandpaper around the spinning object,just move the sandpaper across the surface side to side.
mike:))

Back