My first gear/Splined Shaft

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Doesn't work but was fun making. My Rotary Chuck is missing the lever that operates the indexing feature so I set out to make one. I turned a shaft on my lathe then done some hocus pocus arithmetic and came up with 16 spacings on my collet chuck indexer I made (48 holes) I then put in a 60 deg. carbide insert bit on it's side and tried broaching it, after breaking the tip I decided to sleep on it. First thing this morning I conjured up plan B. I put a 60deg. HSS 1/4" lathe tool in a boring bar, mounted it my mill then chucked the shaft into my Hardinge indexable collet closer mounted on my mill, unfortunately it only has 24 holes so I arbitrarily used 12 spacings (2 on the indexer) Away I go & all finished appearing to be a workable part but once installed it bound.

2 things I did wrong for sure were I didn't center my cutter to the shaft & my arithmetic. It looked cool & was fun but back to the drawing board.

DSCN3589 (640x480).jpg DSCN3590 (640x480).jpg DSCN3591 (640x480).jpg

Looks good from Alabama can't even see a flaw in it.

Paul

Looks good. Congrats!

So, what's wrong with it, wrong diameter, wrong number of splines or the shape of the splines not correct? Telling us will help others learn.

Ray

I feel your pain. I spent 2 weekends trying to make a hub to mount a tool bit grinding wheel to a nice American made grinder I bought at a flee market. I never could get the run out less than .007-.010 so I finally gave up today and put a 5" brush on it instead. I may try again after I contemplate it for a while. It helps to see someone else make nice looking parts that they can't use! =)

bedwards

I must make a retraction: The gear did work and was ok, I finished the shaft by making a hex on the opposite end so the lever that locks the rotary chuck in place could be used to operate it. I'll have Benny take a good picture of it & post it. The reason I thought it would not work was it was hitting the high spot of the gear and not seating in to locate/index. :nuts: All's well in the shop

Back