My first knee mill

I’ll second keeping both like brino ! I started a few years ago setting up my shop , already had a small bench top lathe and bought a Clausing 5914 lathe and 8520 mill . I wanted a drill press when a old Jet 15 mill/drill for $160 about a mile away . Thought I would use it for those roughing jobs , things that might be harder on the 8520 . I bought a 10” Phase 2 rotary table for a can’t pass price . I used that a few times on the Jet because thought keeping the heavy weight off the 8520 would keep wear on the knee screw a little less . I would if the job required more presision then I might expect with the Jet . Your round column is much newer and probably very good shape you’ll have 2 options for different set ups that you can go to !

You have a very nice shop
Thank you! I spend alot of time trying to put things where they're needed. It's the best space I've ever had. As it sits, (which is already different than pictured) puts nearly everything within one step of the machine that uses it most. I get much satisfaction from a well ordered workspace.
Have you made any chips with it yet?

What DRO did you choose? Any feedback on it?
I haven't made any chips. With a known good machine already set up, this mill kind of turned into an off season project. I want to get the DRO and power feed completed first. Then I read about another person who had a bad bearing in the head that wiped out the spindle. Working with an obsolete machine, that has basically no replacement parts available, I'm being extra careful I guess.
I bought the Toauto DRO from an Ebay vendor. It's a two axis unit, which I think will be enough. It still isn't fully installed though, so no word on how good or bad it might be.
I brought my wife out to the shop after I got it in place, and SHE said ," I can't even tell any difference. I think it would be ok to keep both." I nearly fell over. So with the only other voter in the house onboard...I guess I can keep both!
I'm getting long winded now. But the ironic thing about this is how much better my RC mill is than I knew. I had given up on it. I was spending my free time searching for a Millrite, and working out logistics for moving a knee mill cross country. Then I changed jobs, where I was given some training by a professional machinist. After a month with him, the RC mill started to shine . So now I have this knee mill, and I'm in no rush to use it. While there are definitely some good things about having a knee, the RC machine is darned capable too. It seems I was blaming my failures/difficulties on the machine. After a few weeks of professional mentorship, my own shortcomings had been laid bare, and the RC machine was chomping steel like it never had before! Lol
The learning never stops around here!

DRO is installed and working. Looks like it's crooked from this angle. I didn't notice that when I was out there. Anyways, it's as accurate as the dials, so that's as good as I'll ever need it. I trammed the head to within a half thousandth over 3 inches. I don't really know if that's good enough or not. I hope so, because it's tedious. On to the power feed!

Attachments

• E612EE4E-8AFB-479A-84E3-2757C3409688.jpeg
    E612EE4E-8AFB-479A-84E3-2757C3409688.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 35
Back