My First Lathe Atlas 109.20630, Couple Questions

OK. According to the nameplate photo, the Model Number is 109.20630. According to the Sears catalogs, it was made 1947/48. Although something that I read today claimed to have a price sheet from 1945, so maybe they re-started as soon as the War ended but didn't print the first Power Tools catalog until 1948.

I don't do metric, or at least not at Midnight. The diameter of the open end of the tailstock ram according to Lionel Weightman's reverse engineered drawings should be 0.356". Machinery's Handbook says that it should be 0.3561". If that appears to be the diameter of yours right at the end, then it is 0MT (number zero Morse taper). According to M.H., the diameter at the small end should be around 0.252". According to Weightman's drawing, the tailstock ram is drilled through 0.3125" (5/16"). So the taper is short, but that just means that a little less of the length of the arbor will be in contact with the ram. It still takes a 0MT arbor.

FWIW, at least according to Weightman, on the headstock spindle the large end wasn't opened up quite to the standard, no doubt to strengthen the spindle nose. However, the taper still matches 0MT.

The comments on that web site agree with the Weightman spindle drawing. However, the Weightman tailstock ram drawing does not. It mostly agrees with the Machinery's Handbook dimensions for a 0MT taper. It will take someone carefully measuring an original ram to determine whether the drawing matches the original or not.

As far as the adapter i ordered an arbor from lathecity they say it will work its a 0#mt taper.

Hope it works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

There are apparently two Yahoo Groups for the AA machines. One has been around for a long time. The other one is the one the vendor says that they just started. The original one is fairly active.

f0und the gears i needed, not sure how to get the sleeve out of the broken gear other then just chip at it since its brittle.

on to search for a motor and motor Mount design

The sleeve can be removed but it is very tricky. The sleeve cannot take any tension at all. Press it out with support. These are a pain to make.

It looks like that gear might've broken because a previous owner was trying to remove the sleeve without proper support for the rest of the gear.

Zamak is mostly zinc with aluminum dissolved in. I would recommend washing it with soap then heating it to about 200F on the stove. A few heat/cool cycles then try pressing the bushing out.

Back