My first metric threads

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought an ATV lift table, but being short on space I couldn't just set it up and leave it. I decided to add a set of casters to it so I can move it around and also be able to move it with my tractor and forks. The table came with two adjustable screws, I'm assuming to level it up if it was on an uneven surface. After adding the casters, they would not begin to reach the floor, so I made some new ones. As it turns out I won't need them, but they were fun to make none the less.

The first gave me lots of trouble, I remember reading a long while back not to disengage the half nut and just stop the lathe back out the tool and reverse the feed. Well never doing this before instead of reversing the motor I reversed the feed direction. In the next photo you can see the light pass was my first pass the heaver one is the second pass. I got it done but ever pass or ever other one was off. I would go through all the steps and then have to manually turn the chuck by hand line up the cutter by adjusting the cross slide and the compound and do another cut. Oh boy what I'm I doing wrong? It dawned on me just before I was done that I could reverse the motor and leave all the gears in engaged.

20230122_151939.jpg

That wasn't the end of the fun though. The screw/leg had to screw into a boss that was welded to the table. I was pretty proud that it looked pretty good and measured good for what I went through to get to this point. I took it out of the lathe, and it was too tight to screw into the threaded hole. I put it back in the lathe engaged the half nut in the same location as before lined it back up like I had done several times before.

The second one went without a hitch, and for all the trouble I went through I think they both look pretty good. I reused the feet and attached them with a 5mm cap screw and washer. The bottom one was the first one I made.

20230125_192109.jpg

And for kicks and grins here is the ATV lift table (without the legs installed) with my ATV on it.

20230124_143536.jpg

Thanks for looking!

What manufacturer made that table?

Pretty good- you pulled it out of the fire
A good machinist can hide his mistakes :)
It's good practice being able to pick up the thread in case your tool shifts or the tip breaks off
Things happen

Back