My first milling machine, Atlas MFB. Getting ready to restore, although maybe it doesn't need it?

kilohertz

Registered
Registered
A friend of mine is moving and he is selling all of his machinery and tooling so I went there this past week with an empty truck and a fistful of dollars and spent about $2,000. One of the key items was this little, which I knew nothing about until I started reading about it here, the more I read the more intrigued I became. I managed to get it out of the truck with the Bobcat and son is coming to help me get into the shop today. I forgot to check the model but I'm pretty sure it's the MFC. I'll attach a few pics then some more after I get it into the shop. I know it has the original motor and it came with a fair bit of tooling which I will post pics of as well, as some of it is new to me.

More later.

Cheers

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

I’d lube it up and see how it runs. Pretty rare to find one with the belt covers intact, post up more pictures once you have it in the shop.

I’m sure the experts will be here soon with real advise.

John

Assuming for the moment that it is all original, it is not an MFC as although it is missing the Overarm Guard which the M*C does not have. But it has the earlier Overarm Support found on the M*B and back. I think that were it one of MH, MHA or MHB that the vertical position lever would be visible. Beyond that, you show no photos of the left side which would show whether it was an M1* or an MF* (manual or power cross feed). And you will have to remove the spindle belt guard in order to tell whether it is an unlettered, A or B model Which would have 4, 3 or 2 groove cone pulleys respectively.

So add some photos of the left side and of the spindle and counter shaft pulleys. and we will then be able to ID it.

Also, it should have a nameplate on the left side which would have the original model and serial number.

Congratulations! I don't know what it is precisely, but do tell us what you think of it. I'd hold off on restoration work until you've spent some time with it. But that's because most of my regretful behavior occurred while I was brand new to this hobby. Some of those decisions couldn't be reversed later, when I learned I hadn't quite made the best decision about this or that.

Nice , looks like all it needs is a clean up . Check out the Marvin head . Or there is a guy that sells one just like the Marvin but not as cool .

Also check this out . http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlasmiller/index.html

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I didn't get a chance to take any more pics today as I was busy moving the rest of the work benches drill press and such, but I did get it moved to my workbench and found it is an MFB, remember this is all new to me and I just thought it looked like and MFC from the few pics I have looked at. I'll have time tomorrow to take some closeup pics and post them here and go thru a few more things on it. I know there are a few loose/cracked controls, the dial/knobs that you move the table with, all repairable though. It probably just needs a good cleaning and re-lube. I looked under the covers and its lubed but seems dirty looking, like it hasn't been serviced in years.

More tomorrow.

Cheers

Ok you asked for pictures, so I'll give you pictures. I had a few minutes while dinner was cooking so I went out to the shop and snapped some pics.

Let me know what you think. After looking at the pics, maybe it's not as dirty as I thought. I do see some chipped teeth on the edge of some gears, probably not too detrimental.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Cheers

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

Last edited:
Looks pretty clean. Probably made in late 1945. The only things that I see obviously missing are the overarm guard and the right table feed handwheel. And a little bit to fix there.

Last edited:
Very nice! It has an intact backgear handle. It is unusual to find a backgear handle that is not broken. And it has the auto-feed kickout. They are usually missing.

Back