My first project on this forum: EXS Track

I found more information on the Gorix tyres I bought (admittedly as a joke) for $5 a pop. These could actually prove out as decent tires, time will tell.

That being said, the first iteration of the bike is now complete :beer: I will post some photos on Monday, when I'll visit my shop during the daytime.

Last edited:
I managed to find an even background to shoot the bike against…

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2536.jpeg

…but the photoshoot got interrupted by a PE class :chunky:

Here's a list of parts used in the build :geek:

Frame: EXS Piste
Fork: Sensa Supra
Headset: Hope Pick’n’Mix
Headset Spacers: BL SELECT Brass Spacer
Headset Top Cap: Blue Lug Cog Lion
Stem: Cinelli Lux
Handlebar: Nitto for Shred
Grips: Lizard Skins DSP
Handlebar End Plugs: Hope Grip Doctor
Seat Clamp: Hope Seat Clamp w/ Bolt
Seatpost: Hope Carbon Seat Post
Saddle: Fabric Scoop Shallow
Bottom Bracket: Dura-Ace BB-7700
Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace FC-7710
Chainring: Shimano FC-7710
Pedals: Shimano PD-M520
Chain: Wippermann Connex 1R8
Cog: EAI Deluxe
Wheelset: Mavic Ellipse
Tires: Gorix G to Air

The bike sure looks good, but you'll have to wait my thoughts on the ride quality until late April when the snow's gone. Right now the riding conditions are better on the ice rink than they're on the public roads :wink: Below is the geometry sheet for the frame, mine is a nominal size of 56 (T=560).

1707150733598.png

Last edited:
While there was still ice on the nearby lake, the roads were dry and I was able to take the bike for a proper spin :encourage:

IMG_3445.jpeg

The ride was less uncomfortable than I had anticipated, my only complaint being that the Nitto handlebar has virtually no backsweep. This might be an issue in the long run, but for now it’s too early to say.

The bike also needs a brake, but I haven’t found one just yet. I currently hold the highest bid on a Dura-Ace BR-7700 front brake, which would perfectly match the chainset. Let’s see where the final price settles :geek:

I rode for several years 25 miles/day with no brakes. It's fine, you get strong and very agile doing it, but I'd recommend a 45t chainring for the street. Having no sweep is good for throwing your weight forward as you must when controlling speed and stopping, skidding, and skipping. I'd give it some time while you build up strength before giving up on it. My choice was the Nitto TT bar. Not comfortable at first, but the muscles will oblige. Stick with it, you'll be tough as nails.

I’ve had my fair share of brakeless kilometers and my issue with riding brakeless is that there are things that you have very little control over. For example, a friend recently snapped a fresh SRAM PC-1 chain while decelerating :guilty: What comes to having a brake:

I’d rather have it and not use it rather than needing it and not having it

Last edited:
I snapped a PC-1 one time only, within the first 5 miles of installation. Broke other 9-11 speed SRAM chains here and there, the side plates pop off the rivets way too easily. I avoid them like a COVID party. I never ever had problems with KMC chains... dozens and dozens of them. DID chains were awesome too, but they're gone now. Never ran a Dura Ace pista chain because KMC has it covered for 1/3 the price but I bet they're solid.

DID chains were awesome too, but they're gone now.
What happened to D.I.D :disillusion: I thought they were still in business! Maybe I should order a couple of Racing Pros from Track Supermarket while stocks last. I'm hoping to get a good mileage out of the German made Wippermann Connex 1R8 chain on this bike, many friends swear by this chain. At 517 grams it's definitely not the lightest chain on the market.

I've never used Wippermann, but they have been an ultra premium option for a long time. DID/Daido stopped selling bicycle chains in the US back in the '90s, but they still sell moto chains, so I'm guessing it was a marketing agreement. While I lived in Europe I never bothered looking, I was so happy with the strength and life of KMC at two chains and a set of chainrings per bike per year. I was pushing pedals 12-18 hours per week then. It was pretty much all I did.

Soon we’ll be riding 11-speed chains on the track anyway. At least if we buy into Enduo's marketing speeches :grin:

We recommend a Shimano Dura Ace 11–speed HG901 chain for the highest efficiency, however, any 11-speed chain should be compatible. For the product’s longevity, we don’t recommend that you use a 1/8” track chain with these components.

Back