My first real paying job (kind-of)

Surprman

Active User
Registered
A friend at work does some work with high end mountain bikes. I mentioned that I just put together a small machine shop and he asked if I could make a few parts for him. I was looking for something to practice on so we settled on a price of $50 plus material cost for the whole thing. It was a fun project; mainly turning on the lathe. I even got to do some threading (right and left hand!). I polished up the parts (aluminum) with Mothers mag wheel polish. It took me several hours for the whole job (I'm pretty new to machining so I'm slowish). It was fun. I think my friend feels bad that he is getting the parts so cheap, so he volunteered to buy me a machinists handbook (I need one so I didn't decline :) )
(The large cylinder in the photo was given to me to test the fit of the end pieces.)
Rick

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good and you may get more work from him.

A good friend who recognized that you did a nice job
and got you a Machinist Handbook :thumbzup3:

Don't feel bad that it took you a few hours. Doing something one off always takes longer. Especially threading and cutting precision fits. Nice job!

Good work and really nice polish! May I ask what the parts are used for?

Thanks all! The main sleeve goes into the hole at the bottom of the bike (where the pedals go in) I don't know much more than that- my friend gave me drawings and I made the parts to that.

Again, it was fun and he surprised me by paying me more than we had agreed to (like a bonus!). He does want me to do more stuff for him in the future.

Rick

:thumbsup2:
sweet work, plus a bonus i'd say you did great!!!

sometimes the work is more satisfying than the pay.
thanks for sharing
mike:))

Nice work! Kinda cool to get paid for you fun, isn't it?

As for polishing, do yourself a favor and buy a HF 6" polisher. You will drop that Mother's in the tra...Wait, you can use it with the polisher. Best $50 I've spent.

Back