Registered
Installing My DRO!

Where I mounted the reader head.

Head-Mount-Z-Axix-Scale-300x225.jpg

X Axis Scale Mount

Cross-Slide-Scale-225x300.jpg

Z Axis Scale Mount

Z-Axis-2-225x300.jpg

Almost Done.... It is Powered Up! All 3 scales seem to work! I need to mount the read heads on the X and Z axis and mount the Y scale and read read! But Making Progress.. Ran out of Steam and it got cold! I do need a better shop heater! Them magnetic trays for $5.00 at harbor freight are very handy for hardware holders.

Powered-Up-225x300.jpg

Looks good. Nice and clean.
Just out of curiosity, did you consider the front of the table for the X scale? I put my iGauging-type of reader on the front because it seemed like there were enough instances where I had to run the Y as far into the column as I could that it would eat up too much travel. On the front, it's never gotten in the way, and as a bonus, I was able to use the existing slot so no holes to drill. Like I said, just curious.
-Ryan

Yea, looked at doing the front but the scale blocks the table locks only loose about 3/4 of an inch putting it on the rear.. Was thinking of adding hoss's column and head spacer in the future about 2" to regain the travel + some"

G0704%20Y%20axis%20extension%20column%20spacer%20rev%20b.jpg

G0704%20Y%20axis%20extension%20basic%20head%20spacer.jpg

Last edited:
Your work looks nice & clean. You'll wonder how you ever got by without the DRO.
You will find that 3/4" of travel loss means a lot on these size mills. Also, be careful not to run your Y all the way to the back making contact between the Y scale and the column.
Hoss's column spacer looks like it would be a huge improvement for travels in the Y axis. I'm going to add that spacer to mine after I finish up the electronics and motor replacement.

Pat

Last edited:
Got the Y axis Done... Yea, will try and get it it built next week! But may have a gig that will take me 1/2 way around the world.

IMG_2171-300x225.jpg

Back