My Hunting Dog!

Is that a first time for Daryl to be indoors? Or is this a regular Goose-type intrusion?
-M
She has been coming in, now that it's getting much colder out. Muscovy ducks are native to Central America and don't tolerate the very cold weather. They aren't Russian, just their name is. She has a sister and she has a boyfriend, so three is a crowd. Scovies roost in trees and ours have been clipped so I guess the next best thing to a tree is living up on our deck. She is very friendly, but not cuddly. Her sister Darla is friendly and cuddly, but too busy for us because of her boyfriend Herman. He is a big guy, 10 or 12 lbs. He is in the foreground.
20200508_174217.jpg

They look like fun- what do you feed them? Duck chow? LOL
Herman looks very stylish
I just read they are called "quackless" ducks- I didn't know that

Last edited:
Yes, the females make kinda like a purr, followed with a boop boop boop, and sometimes when you pick them up they say whooo!
The males communicate by making a very audible breathing sound and bobbing their head.
They are very interesting.

So, I guess we are molting now.20201219_125520.jpg
My wife set up a pen for them in what was our iguana room. As you can see there are no ducks in it. They would rather be with us, always watching.
16084009480836848951094468963268.jpg

Back