[4]

My Jet 1236p

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

sharkmonkey

Swarf
Registered Member
Picked this lathe up quite a while ago actually, previous owner's dad was the last person to use it many years before that so it needs a lot of cleaning up. It came with a (literal) truck-load of parts and tools, including a milling attachment that had been adapted from a 12 inch Atlas. As luck would have it, I've been using a 12x36 Atlas/Craftsman already, so that worked out well.
eiLjI4L.jpg

One curiosity about this particular jet (at least to me) is the compound doesn't have a T-slot like most of them I've seen, it's a threaded hole that had a plastic plug in it. Someone had made an adapter ring to fit a lantern tool post to it.
4ZRrG0Z.jpg

It seems to be sized around M20x1.25 but I'll take some better measurements when I get a chance. The Craftsman's last act in my employ will be to make a tool post rod for it's replacement.

As an aside, has anyone converted one of these to metric? I know they offered it as a build option but I've never seen one or the parts. Mine is definitely SAE.

Attachments

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
You will need a metric lead screw to convert it to metric. Probably a set of change gears as well as the gearing in the QC box is optimized for imperial thread pitches. I think it is more trouble and hassle than it is worth, and nice metric threads can be cut on imperial lead screws.

sharkmonkey

Swarf
Registered Member
That's a good point about the gear box for thread cutting, I was only thinking of the handwheel graduations being...odd...when working in metric. I have had to constantly convert back and forth on my old Craftsman lathe. I might instead put my effort into fitting a DRO that I can change the scales on and call it good.

David VanNorman

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
The cross slide and compound screws are most likely imperial also . It is a different set up.

DAT510

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
My Jet 1024 compound was exactly like yours. No T-Slot. A friend just happened to have a short piece of 20mm x 1.25 threaded stock, that he gave me. I ended up drilling and tapping it to match the treads on QCTP.

[6]
[5] [7]