• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

My Logan 1825 and Belleville orientation question

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Leal N

Swarf
Registered Member
Hi All. New guy here with a question I have searched for, but have not found the answer. Please forgive me if it has been answered numerous times.

I am in the process of reassembling the head stock, but need to know the orientation of the Belleville washer at the head of the spindle. I have taken extensive
photos of the project, but the orientation of the washer is eluding me. Is it spindle bearing |( cover or spindle bearing |) cover. The 1825 only has the one Belleville washer at the head of the spindle and I can't remember :frown: Thanks in advance and I hope to contribute to this forum if and when I can. Regards.

Here are a couple pics. Brief background: It came from a school district in rough shape with a couple broken gears (QCGB) and overall neglect. It's been a fun project so far. I'm a newbie for sure.

Logan Lathe front_LI.jpg

IMG_1174 (1).JPG

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I know essentially nothing about the 1825 but (assuming that | means the spindle head bearing), logic says |( . That would have the OD of the washer bearing against the OD of the cover, and the ID of the washer bearing against the inner race of the spindle head bearing. That would push the inner race and spindle to the left which is the same direction that force would be applied when either facing the tailstock side of a part (which is normal) or turning or threading toward the headstock, which is also normal. That's also assuming that the bearing outer race is either pressed into the headstock against a shoulder or captured by a removable bearing cap, so that it cannot move.

A618fan2

I had the same issue and wrote to Logan. Their response was that the washer should "be pressing on the outer race of the front bearing." BTW, nice work on the restoration.

John

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
OK. That's backwards from what I had assumed. Apparently the bearing outer race must float in the headstock, being restrained from rotating by the friction from the washer.

RandyM

Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Isn't there a parts manual for this machine to show assembly?

Leal N

Swarf
Registered Member
Thanks everyone for the replies. I did indeed talk to Logan Actuator this morning and description I got was similar to what A618fan2 gave. Apparently, the concave end of the washer faces the bearing.

Hi Randy. Yes, the manual has the schematic of the headstock, (including the belleville washer) but its a bit unclear (to my aged eyes) which direction the washer faces. The last owner may have installed it improperly, so I thought this was the right place to ask. It was. I'll update when I do install the
spindle, hopefully soon :encourage:

[6]
[5] [7]